Anyone Target Alligator Gar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used to fly fish for them below Overholser when the gar hole was there. We used the frayed nylon lures we made, not much to them just a couple of knots and brush with a pet brush, we called them freshwater tarpon as they would fight great trick is to get that nylon untangled from them! Later,

Kirk

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shouldn't be finding any Alligator Gar in Keystone. Or anywhere else in OK other than in the Red River or a Trib flowing into the Red.

I don't know what they were, but they were mean and ugly looking, long snout, lots of teeth. Scary to think they are in the water with you when swimming or skiing....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what they were, but they were mean and ugly looking, long snout, lots of teeth. Scary to think they are in the water with you when swimming or skiing....

I've never heard or seen a reliable report of a human attack by a Gar, but googling the question brings up lots of "a friend" and "a distant cousin" second hand reports.
I didn't dig too deep though.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot one with a bow once and me and some friends skinned it. We didn't know the proper way at the time and we had a hacksaw, tin snips and a bunch of knives out trying to make it happen. We ended up using the tin snips to cut down the back and down the belly, then 2 people grab the hide on each side and pull. We eventually got the hide off and cut up some meat.

I took some home, wrapped it in foil and put it on a grill. It had the texture of pulverized chicken breast and the taste was very mild. Although a little strange, it was fine table fair.

The best way, IMO to clean a gar is to first thing, cut or chop it into steak sized portions lenghtwise. Then use a fillet knife to remove the outer "rind" of skin, then bones and guts. You're left with a pretty good chunk of meat.

I've heard however, DO NOT eat the eggs under any circumstances. I've read that they're poisonous to humans.

Seeing how hard that was to skin, I'd LOVE to find somebody who could tan Gar hide and make a pair of boots. That stuff is like dragon scales. When I was a kid and would find dead ones, there would be nothing left but a skull and the tube shaped skin of what's left. I bet that would be some of the toughest natural material outside of spider web.

311SCV

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Craig 1372 I've bowfished a lot in the past for gar at or around Kansas creek. Never got a really big one, the biggest my best friend and I took was 4 1/2'. We didn't weigh it though. That was about 7 years ago. I've also shot a lot of good ones in the old Washita channel. I won't get to go this year and I sure will miss it. You can get a LOT of 2 to 3 footers, mostly shortnosed, in Kansas creek. Another good place for big gar is platter flats at night.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard or seen a reliable report of a human attack by a Gar, but googling the question brings up lots of "a friend" and "a distant cousin" second hand reports.
I didn't dig too deep though.
Jeremy Wade addressed that very subject on his show River Monsters. If you've never seen the show, its pretty good and available on Netflix streaming.
Craig 1372 I've bowfished a lot in the past for gar at or around Kansas creek. Never got a really big one, the biggest my best friend and I took was 4 1/2'. We didn't weigh it though. That was about 7 years ago. I've also shot a lot of good ones in the old Washita channel. I won't get to go this year and I sure will miss it. You can get a LOT of 2 to 3 footers, mostly shortnosed, in Kansas creek. Another good place for big gar is platter flats at night.
I've seen some pretty good sized gar on the north side at Kansas Creek. Last year we saw one that was probably 6'+ while crappie fishing there. I've caught several alligator gar and shortnosed gar there but the biggest was only about 2'. Had my line snapped there plenty of times like it was sewing thread though. Me and a buddy were at the old Washita channel Sunday fishing but no luck. During the summer though you see gar surfacing for air everywhere so I'm sure theres some good sized gar in there.

On a side note 311SCV, the crappie must be biting over at Kansas Creek. When we were coming back from the north dike and the old Washita channel, we counted ten people, elbow to elbow balloon fishing on the south side of the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom