Anyone Target Alligator Gar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father-in-law went Gar fishing in Louisiana last year. Came home with this 7 footer. Course they did it a little different down there. Fished with whole chickens and "caught" it on rope. Dispatched with a .40.

[Broken External Image]

I'd LOVE to find somebody who could tan Gar hide and make a pair of boots. That stuff is like dragon scales.

He had boots made too :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like gar..i like the smaller ones for eating best,like under 4 foot..
i cut the meat into shrimp size pieces and boil in zataran crab and shrimp boil.

I follow the dirrections on the bottle,,, dip in garlic butter or shrimp sauce..i cook mine for 5-7 minutes in the boil,,,then let set for 5 or so then drain and eat...

I have cleaned many and the best way i have found.

filet knife inserted under scales starting near the tail...filet the meat away from the shell while the fish is all together,( running the knife between the meat and outer shell),stop at the bottom of the sides ..
move up about 4inches at a time ,,,,then cut with snips straight up the back and lay the side scales over and filet the meat off the bones,,,

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father-in-law went Gar fishing in Louisiana last year. Came home with this 7 footer. Course they did it a little different down there. Fished with whole chickens and "caught" it on rope. Dispatched with a .40.

[Broken External Image]

He had boots made too :)

i cut the meat into shrimp size pieces and boil in zataran crab and shrimp boil.

I follow the dirrections on the bottle,,, dip in garlic butter or shrimp sauce..i cook mine for 5-7 minutes in the boil,,,then let set for 5 or so then drain and eat...

filet knife inserted under scales starting near the tail...filet the meat away from the shell while the fish is all together,( running the knife between the meat and outer shell),stop at the bottom of the sides ..
move up about 4inches at a time ,,,,then cut with snips straight up the back and lay the side scales over and filet the meat off the bones,,,

Holy crap! Thats a big gar!:mosh:

My biggest is only a 12 pounder. Ate good though:D

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Great, now I'm really hungry....

5MinuteMajor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where the river winds through Harrah, there is a big giant pool of Carp and Gar that just flop around on the surface during the summer months. I've bowfished COUNTLESS gar out of that pool. There are tons of them in there. It's a blast. They usually run about 2'-3' long in there, but I've seen a couple on the shoreline that were 3'+.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the person with the state record gator gar is a member here. Maybe he'll post some pics and stories.

I haven't targeted them but won't hesitate to shoot one while bowfishing in their area during the open season.

danielp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys fish for these things specifically? I've wanted to the last couple of years but I'm usually fishing for bass, crappie or catfish. Seems like I could never fit it in. Now after reading about the new 192lb state record caught on the Red River on January 27 and a 327lb monster netted in Mississippi on Valentines Day I know I'm setting aside some days to specifically target these fish.

The guy that caught the gar works at the same place I do. I believe it was snagged.

Latest posts

Top Bottom