Anyone Target Alligator Gar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its listed on the departments website as the state rod and line record with the snagged annotation.

Thats good to know.
I wonder where on the body he snagged him. I've snagged a lot of spoonbill, and I can assure you that if you hook one around the mid section or tail, you have a tough extended fight on your hands. It may take 15 or 20 minutes to get in a 40 lb spoon bill, I cant imagine fighting a gar, that size hooked in that area. I'll bet he was one tired fisherman.:mosh:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they pull pretty hard but the runs they make are much shorter than a big spoon bill...i have snagged both and they are both a blast..and both great eating....

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats good to know.
I wonder where on the body he snagged him. I've snagged a lot of spoonbill, and I can assure you that if you hook one around the mid section or tail, you have a tough extended fight on your hands. It may take 15 or 20 minutes to get in a 40 lb spoon bill, I cant imagine fighting a gar, that size hooked in that area. I'll bet he was one tired fisherman.:mosh:

I've snagged several fish in the mid section and tails before, all accidentally, and you're correct its a whole different fight for sure.

I'm pretty sure the last several alligator gar rod and line records were all snagged. The previous record holder was also from Ardmore and I believe was fishing in the same vicinity as the new record fish came from.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did a little digging and the last three (including the most recent) alligator gar rod and line records were all snagged and taken from the Red River.

In 2002, a gentleman by the name of Daryl Landers took a 180lb. fish.

On March 4, 2006, Sean Chatham of Ardmore snagged a 184lb. 3oz. specimen using 25lb. test line.

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_060304gar.jpg

Lastly, on January 27, 2011, James tucker, also of Ardmore snagged this 192lb. 1oz. specimen on the Red River.

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_agar_record_small.jpg

There is no listing of the alligator gar in the departments listings of unrestricted division fish.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We shoot a lot of bowfishing tournaments and we do a few every year that are gar only and one is the Red River Shoot Out. The best place to get some big Gator Gar is the Trinity River, they got some monsters and a lot of them. But like stated above, there is a big difference between a needle nose or spotted gar and a gator. When u shoot a big gator it usually takes a few other guys sticking an arrow in them to be able to drag them in and thats with running with them in the boat. Not to mention the big ones scales are so hard if u dont hit them square the arrow will just skip off their back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom