AR or AK ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been away from rifles for many years, although I've owned some for awhile now, long story...
Anyway, I FINALLY got to get out and shoot an AR 15 and a Russian AK (saiga) back to back, side to side.

Being able to shoot them side by side was just awesome. I now have an overwhelming favorite.

What's yours??
Are you an AR fan or an AK fan?

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I favor AK's for their toughness, easy of operation and easy to clean. Can take a lick and keep going.
I personally LOVE Veprs out of all Aks.

Ar's will be more accurate out of the box tho.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They both hold a special place in my heart. If I need a weapon that can make a 5yd shot and a 500yd shot with precision, I will pick up the AR. If I'm only worried about engaging targets at 200yds or less, I will take the AK. I think the AR is more versatile and the AK is more rugged. Both of mine have been equally reliable.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My impressions:
To me the AK was the sweet shooter. It felt comfortable, familiar, simple, powerful. I hear a lot about accuracy of ARs. However, Accuracy was outstanding with the AK. It was literally out of the box. I could hit any target I wanted. I felt like I could do no wrong. Targets definately under 200 yards. I'd say 25 - 50 yards.

The AR was just broke in and scoped. It felt awkward, busy, flimsy, weak and I couldn't seem to hit where I wanted with it worth a darn.
I'm sure I can get better with it and im sure id be a bit more impressed if it was the only one of the two that i got to shoot. But the AK was superb right from the get go. It was a real kick in the pants.

I'm NOT wanting to start a pissing match between the two or anything like that. Just honest opinions and preferences. Just curious.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am the same way. I started with AR and then got an AK and was like WOW the first time I shot it. Much easier to use and be accurate with out of the box. Easier to tear down and clean but less need to. Targets that I was putting holes in with the AR I was annihilating with the AK's bigger round.

Once I got an AK I have not bought an AR.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own several of both. I take "first-timers" shooting all the time time. Without exception, after shooting an AK and AR when I have asked what they want to shoot again, the answer is ALWAYS the AK. If I had to grab a gun in hurry and "bug-out, it would ABSOLUTELY be an AK going with me.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt about it you have to have both, if you could only have one then you would always long for the other.
Face it the AR is like a barbi for men, we love to play with then, change them up and redress them once in a while or trade them for different configurations but the AK is best left alone, maybe put a scope on it but other than that it is just a bullet burping machine that we all like to hold.
So get the one you can afford but before outfitting your barbi save up and get the other too.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt about it you have to have both, if you could only have one then you would always long for the other.
Face it the AR is like a barbi for men, we love to play with then, change them up and redress them once in a while or trade them for different configurations but the AK is best left alone, maybe put a scope on it but other than that it is just a bullet burping machine that we all like to hold.
So get the one you can afford but before outfitting your barbi save up and get the other too.

I agree 100%

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am fortunate to own several of both and they are both good platforms. However, the hands down winner for me is an AR. I like its simplicity and adaptability. In my opinion, reliability means nothing without accuracy.

These conversations get harry because of the emotion involved. Firearms are tools.
No one would argue that you should cut a piece of wood with a hammer and I have never seen anyone drive a nail with a saw. Choose the right tool for the job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom