Archery Knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured this would best fit in the Gear forum.

I'm researching bows and related equipment for a bow purchase in the near future. However I'm lacking in the knowledge I want. So what sources do you archers use for your recreational reading and general internet surfing.

I'm going to go shoot some bows at Lunch today to get some hands on. Still a few weeks out from a purchase. I'd just like a bit more information to chew on before I spend the money on a quality bow.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Do you want to shoot compound or traditional?
2. What are you using it for, hunting, target shooting, SHTF?
3. Have you ever shot one before?
4. Are you left or right eye dominante? Right or left handed? Are they the same?

To get started have an archery proshop measure your draw length ie how far you can pull a bow.
You do not need a heavy bow anything from 50 to 65 lbs will be GTG. Most makers make great bows today and it is individual preference. Look at Mathews, Hoyt, and the big companies. Forget the bigbox stores some of the sales people don't know much and you don't want to get the wrong information. You will end up spending more money than you want.
If you like send me a PM with your phome and I will be happy to call and give you more information.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Do you want to shoot compound or traditional? Compound
2. What are you using it for, hunting, target shooting, SHTF? Hunting primary. Target secondary.
3. Have you ever shot one before? Compound(played around with them), Recurve(shot one for a few months back in college)
4. Are you left or right eye dominante? Right or left handed? Are they the same? R eye R hand

I have a 29" draw. I'm comfortable with a 60lb bow. Above that I'm starting to struggle. Cussed my brother in law for his 70lb Matthews.
My office is only a mile or so from H&H. I'm taking my lunch breaks and going to shoot different bows. I shot a PSE Bow Madness today. I've done some reading on Hoyt's Rampage and might give it a shot tomorrow.

I'm taking my time. I really only want to buy 1 bow and 1 bow only.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also try different shops just to get several points of view from the bow techs and see what they recommend. Oklahoma Archery would be another choice. If you're ever in Shawnee there is also Tabes. As mentioned previously stay away from big box stores. I also second Mathews and Hoyt bows.

My advice is go light. If you're comfortable with 60lbs I would recommend a bow that has a 60lb max and start with it at 50lbs. Standing shooting at the range is much different than trying to draw that bow back after sitting in a cold treestand all day. And yes regardless of what the world tells you 50lbs is more than enough for North America. A well tuned arrow out of a 50lb bow with a good SHARP fixed broadhead will blast right through a deer. I can shoot an 80lb bow all day (and use to) several years ago I dropped down to a 60lb bow and I enjoy it much more.

The lower draw weight will also make your practice sessions much more enjoyable.

Once you get it practice practice practice. Take quality sessions over quantity. Meaning shoot 15-20 shots a session with perfect form rather than burning out with 100 shots, but make your practice sessions frequent. When you start out, start out close 10yrds or less and don't worry so much about your groups or hitting a tiny spot as much as developing perfect repeatable form and follow through for every single shot. The distance and accuracy will come much faster later on once you've mastered the form. I would even go as far as to say try blind bale shooting for your first 10 -20 practice sessions (you can find it on google) The form and follow through will be your key to accuracy (assuming your bow is tuned, but that's a whole different matter) Then start shooting golfball size targets at 60yrds once you've mastered your form.

Find an experienced archer that can help you through this and give you feedback.

Most of all, have fun with it. Archery hunting is one heck of an adventure. You will be amazed at how much of a better hunter you will become after archery hunting a few years vs gun hunting.

If you ever want to go fling some arrows and are willing to drive to Norman send me a PM. I'm no expert, but I can help get you on the right path.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to run up to Heartland Outdoors sometime this weekend to poke around. Hopefully the Mrs. will release me from my indentured serventhood tomorrow for some man time with a bow.

cpd23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your in the Shawnee area stop by Tabes Archery. Has some great options in bows and lots of knowledge, and indoor range including live video target system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom