Are Cmmg Conversion kit any Good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like some of the other comments in this post mine has run flawlessly. For those having issues it may be the ammo. I’ve run many thousands. It is fun. That said it is not going to be a one hole accurate gun with this conversion. I don’t think you will be hitting golf balls at 50 yards. More like a Coke cans at 50 yards. I think a complete CMMG upper would be a lot more accurate like at 10/22.

Would I recommend buying one? Yes very much. Loading the mags is a little bit of a pain in the butt I bought a loader for that that makes it a lot easier
Can you share details on the loader? Thank you

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you share details on the loader? Thank you
It’s a McFadden lightning grip loader. It is similar to the one for Ruger 10/22 in the way it works but there is a lever/trigger instead of a twist knob.

They have different adapters for different magazines. So you make sure to order the correct one or multiple adapters for the platforms you have.

You order the loader and choose the adapter you need for the magazine

Here is a link to the sight
http://www.mcfaden.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1828

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a McFadden lightning grip loader. It is similar to the one for Ruger 10/22 in the way it works but there is a lever/trigger instead of a twist knob.

They have different adapters for different magazines. So you make sure to order the correct one or multiple adapters for the platforms you have.

You order the loader and choose the adapter you need for the magazine

Here is a link to the sight
http://www.mcfaden.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1828
Awesome. Thank you. Do they not make one for the factory Ruger 10/22 mags?

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you. Do they not make one for the factory Ruger 10/22 mags?
If you click on the link it has a list of the inventoried products for sale. The first one is the loader, the second one appears to be the adapter for a Ruger 1022 Magazine. And then it looks like the third one is the adapter for the CMMG or black dog AR15 22 magazines

Butler creek makes a loader for Ruger 1022 magazines. That’s the one I’ve used for my Ruger four several decades now. Probably about a decade ago Ruger came out with a copycat clone that looks about identical to the butler creek one. They are dedicated just for the Ruger 1022 magazines. You can’t change them to other platforms. But they work pretty good.

I bought the McFadden specifically for the CMMG AR15 22 magazines because the little one that comes with it, the tab that pushes the cartridge down broke. It was cheap and I didn’t figure I’d be worth buying another one. So after looking around and researching I ended up going with the McFadden

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used one for several years and loved it, no problems at all. Mine lives inside a basic PSA 16" AR, I use it mostly for introducing new shooters to the AR platform's controls.

As far as ammo goes, I have shot mostly Norma's semi-auto solid 22lr offering, and very occasionally Federal copper hollowpoints.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100% good to own, it's 99.9% reliable. It's for training and plinking. If you own a Smith and Wesson MP15-22, you can buy a mag adapter for the conversion kit and share the same mags. The Smith and Wesson mags are way better, more reliable and easier to load. Even if you don't own the MP15-22, I still recommend the upgrade.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried the CMMG conversion several years ago in my son’s AR. Function was ok but accuracy was horrible. S&W 15/22 is a much better albeit more expensive way to shoot .22 LR in an AR platform.

Latest posts

Top Bottom