Autozone Fires Employee for Stopping Armed Robbery!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a multi billion dollar corporation knowingly allows employees on the clock to carry firearms, that corporation will be liable for anything that employee does with their gun while on the clock. If the employee has extra training and is employed as a security guard, then you can insure against that risk....but standard employees would not qualify for liability coverage for that risk. Not saying I agree, but that is the reality in which we all operate.

I was told WalMart has a no firearm rule for employees..... not permitted in their personal vehicles on Store property. Violators will be fired.

I am not sure if this is fact or not, but it is a CYA that has to be in place. If something does go wrong lawyers today will attack the fine print and find fault with the wording if it were ambiguous in anyway.

Phil

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're working somewhere.....they have a NO GUN policy when you're working there...and you voilate that, you're subject to be fired. It's simple, and it's fair.
I'm all for carrying EVERYWHERE............but rules are rules. The way i understand it, they didn't fire him for stopping the robbery with the gun...they fired him for violating policy...and as much as we may dislike it, THEY were well within THEIR rights to do so. Ok...it sucks...but it is what it is.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
watched the video interview with fired AZ employee and got a completely different point of view. He was inside store in bathroom when this happened. He then slipped outside via a backdoor, fetched his weapon from truck. then went back inside to stop robbery and protect fellow co-workers. most would have driven off after slipping outside. instead he went back in to face an armed robber.

he reacted in a life and death situation ... completely different than blatantly ignoring rules against carrying a firearm inside store. this is firmly in a grey zone in a black and white corporate environment. are they going to fire any employee that picks up say a driveshaft or other heavy object, wacks robber to save theirs and other employee's lives????

Corporate was in the wrong for firing him and are paying the price. AZ stock is down 20+ points on top of pissing off a LOT of (former) customers.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if that is all true, then it does make me want to open up my thoughts on the deal. Seems he wasn't actually acting against the store/corp policy untill it was a possible matter of life or death. In MY unimportant view that makes him in the right regardless of what the policy was. He's got balls. That'll teach me to form an opinion before knowing the whole story i guess!! :)

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People still go to autozone? That is like renting VHS tapes from Blockbusters... O'Riellys is the place to go, they higher people that will actually help you. They also employ more than 2 people to work a store.

Swapwap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll spend my money somewhere other than AZ. Unfortunately any company this size would probably do the same thing to anyone else in a similar situation.

I'll just keep voting with my wallet whenever I can

Latest posts

Top Bottom