Backpack to Replace Range Bag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn I love a backpack! Ive got a bunches but nothing that would satisfy my organizational requirements as a range bag. I have a nice bulldog range bag but its just not quite big enough and I would just prefer a BP. I plan on keeping it loaded up with the usual stuff...eyes, ears, staple gun and paper targets, range finder, a few tools and maybe a spotting scope at times, etc...

Thinking of something like below but open to suggestions. Been really digging foliage green lately as well.

guideimg.alibaba.com_images_shop_86_11_07_7_mil_tec_military_a2fd6dfe73bb02c460ec1ec2c2ba19d7c.jpg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen people use everything from backpacks to roll around tool carts that they modified to work, it more about each persons personal needs. I myself have a few different range bags with 1 that i carry a box of ammo for every gun i own along with ear/eye protection a few targets and ground sheet, just for them time i need to grab it at the last minute as i go out the door but if i have plans for just a range trip with one caliber of gun i have the smaller ones that i can load up for that. But then i only have to carry mine from house to truck and when i get to my range i shot out of the back of the truck so not having to carry it very far.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used many things from a regular backpack, kids backpack, Blackhawk range bag, midway range bags, midway backpack, a few mil spec backpacks, and have finally settled on a Camelbak Mil Spec pack and love it, but at times it can be large so I will use one of my smaller mil spec backpacks.

What I can say from experience is the rangebags are just fine to carry from your vehicle to the bench. My gear rarely sees a shooting bench therefore I require a bit more durable gear. The only backpacks I have been happy with are my old skateboard packs and my mil spec packs. I use them fairly roughly and they seem to hold up well. If you are just going to be at the range I would run a range bag, they work great for that type of setup maybe even a small tackle box to carry misc parts or tools.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up going with a medium ALICE to use as a range bag. I cut the frame (you could also use a dowel rod but I have a ton of extra frames) so I could add a paracord carry handle and I like the idea of the straps going through the frame vs the rings.

I added 4 molle pouches, 2 sustainment and 2 saw ammo pouches (200rd).

The pros to the ALICE is that it is a true dumpster and easily holds all and more than I want to. Its rugged and I think it would last me a lifetime. I also think its unique and cool to use one for this purpose.

The cons are price and pouch styles. I paid $20 for the medium ALICE which is a complete steal...the prices are more than double if you walk into a surplus store these days. The pouches cost me another $50 :shocked: so damned if I don't have stinkin $70 range bag. The other problem is the pouches themselves. The only ones with a drawstring to tighten the opening are the sustainment pouches. so small items like ear plugs need to be bundled together with other small items and put in a crown royal bag which is then placed in the pouch...if not, as soon as your pack tips over they will spill out.

Overall its a nice bag, but not a range bag. For $70 I could have a pretty nice backpack better suited for this.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$70 is cheap. Ive got a heckuva lot more than tied up in a Eberlestock Gunrunner pack that doubles as a range bag if I have to hike to my shooting spot. Its also used for run n guns so I could justify the cost.

For the $$ I think your setup looks good and functionable.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Laptop backpack I picked up at Sams a while back for my IDPA bag. Has more than enough padding and pockets for all the stuff I need for a match day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom