Bad day at the range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
had a bad day at the range today and I want to lear from my mistakes. Rifle wise I had a great day pistols on the other hand not so great. I'm an ok shot with pistols and have no problem keeping everything at center mass at around 10 yards. Today was an off day for sure but I have a tendency to raise the back of the gun to make the sights line up, any thing I can do to practice fixing this? I practiced holding the pistol some in the mirror so I could see how bad I was doing and it was bad.

Is this chalk it up to a bad day at the range and continue like normal or continue with it being a learning experience.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Start dry firing. First day, bring your gun from the holster to the eye slowly making sure your grip is the same every time. Pull the trigger smoothly when you come to the point of aim.
Do it slowly until your bored.
Next day, try it a little faster, but not much. Make sure the grip and sight alignment stays consistent. Work up speed in successive days. If you start seeing your sight alignment get off when coming to the point of aim, slow down and practice at slower speeds again.
Excelling at shooting is no different than any other athletic sport. You have to continue to practice or you loose the edge you got by consistent practice.
Practice makes perfect.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There will be good days, great days ....and the occasional bad day.

Shooting has a lot to do with mechanics. Key is recognizing what has changed and fixing it. When I was golfing my coach would video tape me to help recognize if/when/where/where my swing went south. Obviously a great visual aide if you can get someone to tape you.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'd chalk it up as just a bad day, unless it becomes a common thing. Some days, I can shoot really well; but every now and then, I might as well just throw the bullets down range.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I went home and practiced in a mirror how it felt "comfortable" and I was pointing it barrel down, when I tried tilting it up it felt uncomfortable. Today is a new day so I will try some dry practice and see how it is today.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I need to get one of these and my shooting will improve. There is NO pistol, in my mind, with the lines and ergonomics to rival the CZ 75 series.
CZ PCR.jpg

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also went to the range this past weekend, took my wife and let my auntie shoot my new rifle. My new rifle was shooting great soft shooter and that geissele trigger is awesome my wife really like it With me I found out I don't mind a mil spec trigger it works. Also brought out my AR 15 Pistol to shoot and it was freaking LOUD and much more recoil then my 18inch rifle, my wife was afraid to shoot the AR 15 Pistol so will trade that for a new hand gun. Overall practice makes perfect. I shot my Glock 26, my wife was having a hard time with it as usual, limp wristing and causing double feeds or a stuck casing. I need more range time.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I went home and practiced in a mirror how it felt "comfortable" and I was pointing it barrel down, when I tried tilting it up it felt uncomfortable. Today is a new day so I will try some dry practice and see how it is today.
As my friend @Dr_Mitch would say, You need to work on the mechanics of your grip.

posted via Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom