BBQ Pit Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I saw you heading towards I35 on 27th on Friday, and recognized this beast (uhaul trailer pic is what gave it away). Thing is massive, and looks very good from what I saw. Have to say I am a little jealous

Yeah, I was kinda nervous dragging that thing home. I put 5 straps on it and stopped once just to make sure they were still tight. Luckily, I got it home before rush hour started. Thanks, don't be jealous, Prophet can build you one too.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice work Prophet. Radarmonkey can't wait for the cookout.

Soon, very soon. I got 3 coats of paint on it now. Next weekend I will fire it up and season the inside and play with regulating my temps. This has been a very long year waiting for this project to be completed. (It did not take Prophet a year to build it.....he came on board just a few weeks ago....lesson learned, hire a professional when in doubt!)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Built my own several years ago, and through trial and error, found that putting the stack at the same level as the trays keeps an even temp across the grills.
My original had it at the top of the cooker, but quickly found out that it had a cold spot that didn't cook well.

I see your design has it at grill level already...:thumbup3:

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Built my own several years ago, and through trial and error, found that putting the stack at the same level as the trays keeps an even temp across the grills.
My original had it at the top of the cooker, but quickly found out that it had a cold spot that didn't cook well.

I see your design has it at grill level already...:thumbup3:

I see we think alike! My little smoker (homemade and very old...but she's a faithful ol' gal) has the stack on top and she just burns the fuel like crazy. All the heat just blows right thru the smoke chamber. So, I'm trying something different this time. I had Prophet install the rails so I can put tuning plates in there if I have to, but I'm hoping with the stack at that low level the heat will move all the way to the end of the smoker on it's own. We will soon see.......I'm glad to hear your's works well. It's nice when you have an idea that actually works!!!! I don't get that feeling very often!!!! :homer:

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fired the beast up today (since the 'horns were looking horrible) and seasoned her up. Decided not to waste the heat and smoke and cooked up some El Cheapo wafer thin pork chops. They turned out okay, just crappy meat so I didn't expect much. I bought the stuff to extend the smoke stack up about 5 feet. It is just a temporary stack. My garage where I store the smoker in only has about 6.5 ft of headroom so I have to remove the stack everytime I put it away. I'm losing quite a bit of smoke and heat around that first door. I am looking at using some wood stove door gasket to seal it up better. I will also probably have Prophet cut me some tuning plates and have those just in case I can't get the the temps better regulated. Early in the burn I had about a 75 degree difference from end to end, but later on it fell to within 20 degrees. I am wondering if it took that long for the metal to warm up in the smoke chamber. I guess it takes alot of heat to bring 7ft of 1/4 inch up to an even temp. Anyway, for a trial run she did pretty good I think.

First fire:
ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_BBQ_20Build_2010_100230_300019.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_BBQ_20Build_2010_100230_300028.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_BBQ_20Build_2010_100230_300032.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_BBQ_20Build_2010_100230_300034.jpg

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_BBQ_20Build_2010_100230_300036.jpg

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looking good!

those first few burns to season in should tell where temps are headed.
yup that's a large mass of steel to heat up.

my trailer mounted smoker looks to be about 1/2 length of yours except it's 3/8 inch steel.
been wanting to fab a rotisserie mechanism for sometime.
too many other projects keeps it on the back burner.

[Broken External Image]

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looking good!

those first few burns to season in should tell where temps are headed.
yup that's a large mass of steel to heat up.

my trailer mounted smoker looks to be about 1/2 length of yours except it's 3/8 inch steel.
been wanting to fab a rotisserie mechanism for sometime.
too many other projects keeps it on the back burner.

[Broken External Image]

Nice! I think ultimately I am going to wind up with counterweights on the doors too. They are some heavy SOB's. I have 4 days off next weekend so I will get to "play" with it a bunch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom