BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worth the $40.

I'm usually a skeptic when it comes to accessories, especially aftermarket parts for the AR15. I've seen people run different charging handles for AR's with extended latches, but they all seemed gimmicky and seem to make the inherent weakness in standard charging handles worse.

Well after a handling a few AR's with BCM charging handles, I finally bought a couple and wow do they make a difference. The best thing about them is that the back side of the latch sits flush with the back of the handle when the latch is pulled on. This shelf causes the force to be distributed to the rest of the charging handle and also relieves the tension on the roll pin holding the latch, which is where it will commonly break, especially when performing weak hand operation of the charging handle.

I bought the Mod 4 (medium sized latch) and the Mod 5 (small sized latch.) The Mod 5 is basically a direct replacement for the standard charging handle. The latch is beefier and slightly bigger than the standard latch, but otherwise comparable to the standard latch. Operating the Mod 5 is easier due to the slightly oversized latch and aggressive grip pattern. The latch spring seems to be a little stiffer than the Mod 4. This is perfect for those who have problems with their extended charging handles getting caught in their gear / chest rigs and pulling the charging handle and bolt out of battery.

The Mod 4 is the medium version that has a slightly extended latch. If you don't have issues with chest gear getting caught in the latch, this is definitely the one you want to go with. The latch spring seems to be less stiff and the slightly oversized latch just hugs your finger or blade of your hand with or without gloves on. The aggressive grip really grabs on to your fingers and makes the charging handle almost feel like your AR's buffer spring has been replaced with a weaker spring. There is a big noticeable difference in the feel and pull weight of the charging handle. It's noticeable even between the Mod 5 and 4.

I've tried the Mod 3 with the large sized charging latch and it's way too big. There's not increased benefit to it being that much larger and it will get hung up on your chest gear. Anyways, I highly recommend the BCM gunfighter charging handles as a must have upgrade. For the longest time, I stuck with the standard handle. Now, I wish I had made the switch a long time ago. If you're not an operator using chest rigs with tons of crap hanging off it, I highly recommend the Mod4 with the medium sized extended latch. Otherwise, you may look into the Mod5 if you think an extended latch with get caught in stuff.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got the Mod 4 last week and couldn't agree more. After 1 carbine course with the standard latch I knew it could be better. Heck even at the range I didn't like it. I have bigger hands so something with more to hold on to was appealing. I thought about going with the large one but for fear of it getting caught on stuff and also just being uncomfortable to a right handed shooter when I've the rifle hugged up against my chest I elected to go with the medium size. It's perfect IMO.

Firemedic183

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got the Mod 4 last week and couldn't agree more. After 1 carbine course with the standard latch I knew it could be better. Heck even at the range I didn't like it. I have bigger hands so something with more to hold on to was appealing. I thought about going with the large one but for fear of it getting caught on stuff and also just being uncomfortable to a right handed shooter when I've the rifle hugged up against my chest I elected to go with the medium size. It's perfect IMO.
I wish I had gotten the medium sized latch. The larger one is definitely uncomfortable.

Rugerlab45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been running a couple of Mod 4's for a couple years. One is on an SPR type that really dosen't get shot much, the other is on a 14.5" mid length that gets shot a LOT. Being a big guy that runs a charging handle with considerable, umm, "vigor", I've bent a couple of the standard handles, having been trained to run them weak hand only, butt still on the shoulder. So far, I havent had any probs with the BCM/Vltor part holding up, and havent had any probs with the med size 'hanging up' either, maybe some would tho. I'm putting together another mid length now, and it's getting one too. Good part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom