Bear Safes – Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Questions for those who have bought or considered buying a Bear safe.

I searched and read nearly every related thread on OSA (and many through Google). I have been to Bear Safe in OKC and Security Systems in Catoosa but have not been to Armor Vault.

1.Why did you choose or not choose a Bear?
2.If you own a Bear Safe, Did you compare to the Armor Vault safe before making your decision?
3.If so, why did you choose Bear over Armor Vault? Or, Armor Vault over Bear?
4.Why did you choose Bear over comparably priced safes?
5.If you access your safe frequently, is the key lock an issue? I understand the advantage of the key lock but if you open your safe daily or several times a day would you prefer a digital?

Thanks

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a Bear, but I can speak to #5. I prefer a key lock(s) and don't think it's any issue to have to use it over a digital keypad. I've used digital keypad safes at work in the past and they don't save that much time.

So... if time is your only complaint with key locks, I wouldn't let that sway me. Everytime I use one, I just spend the extra couple of seconds it might take marveling at how secure my safe is.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bear has a built in fire rating of 1700F for 2 hours standard on all safes
after 35 years there has not been a break in on a bear safe.
bear has a no ask transferable lifetime warranty
and they have a lifetime trade in for what you paid for it polocy for upgrades

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I didn't know anything about safes when I bought either of mine.
I have a dual keyed safe(like the Bear) and a dial safe and think the keyed is easier and I prefer it for frequent opening.
I talked to one of the A.G.English safe guys and he said the dual keyed/lock safes are a very good secure design.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll throw out there some of my thoughts when I bought my safe. Door/body thickness, size, price, warranty, fire rating. I took all those thing into consideration and chose the Summit Denali 65. It has a 1/2" thick door and the Bear has 1/4" but the Bear has a 1/4" body and the Denali has 3/16". The Denali is a bit bigger, and also has the lifetime transfer warranty when I bought mine. Fire rating is good and all that but I found it to be a bit deceiving. Some mfg claim crazy good times and ratings but at what internal temp? Usually 350(but make sure to check), so I'm thinking okay I'll put this or that in the oven set on 350 how long will it last? At that point I figured 1 hour 2 hour rating doesn't really matter plastic still going to be melted at 350 in minutes. I am still happy with what I chose.

I was not aware of Bear Safes (thought I looked at them all) when I bought mine. So I can't really speak in an unbiased manner. I have no idea what their pricing is so comparing two models may not be fair.

Sorry for the long post. Buying a safe is a big decision to me.
One last thing -Go one size bigger than you plan.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
One last thing -Go one size bigger than you plan.

This. I did, and still wish I could have afforded to go even bigger at the time.

I know it's been mentioned already, but the listed capacity for long guns is for non scoped .22s and single shot .410s. Start loading it with AR-15s and scope rifles, and it'll be full at 1/2 to 2/3 the listed capacity.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. I did, and still wish I could have afforded to go even bigger at the time.

I know it's been mentioned already, but the listed capacity for long guns is for non scoped .22s and single shot .410s. Start loading it with AR-15s and scope rifles, and it'll be full at 1/2 to 2/3 the listed capacity.

It's odd how you go one size bigger like people advise, then feel this sudden urge to fill all that empty space with more. I told my Wife "Well I needed this/that gun because the others were lonely in that big space".

Latest posts

Top Bottom