Bear Safes – Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepwoods

New to the site!
Reaction score
Questions for those who have bought or considered buying a Bear safe.

I searched and read nearly every related thread on OSA (and many through Google). I have been to Bear Safe in OKC and Security Systems in Catoosa but have not been to Armor Vault.

1.Why did you choose or not choose a Bear?
2.If you own a Bear Safe, Did you compare to the Armor Vault safe before making your decision?
3.If so, why did you choose Bear over Armor Vault? Or, Armor Vault over Bear?
4.Why did you choose Bear over comparably priced safes?
5.If you access your safe frequently, is the key lock an issue? I understand the advantage of the key lock but if you open your safe daily or several times a day would you prefer a digital?

Thanks

I researched bear extensively and was on my way to OKC to purchase the model 6036.
I luckily was able to visit the Armorvault store on my way. I never proceeded to the bear store.
IMO, there was no need to. The Armorvault model 703 sold me at first glance.
The bear 6036 has a 3/16 plate door and 10 gauge body. The Armorvault has 1/4 inch plate door and body.
The bear 6036 has one lock, the armorvault has two.
Although the bear does use two sheets of 3/4 inch sheet rock up against the 10 gauge body, the Armorvault uses two sheets of 5/8 sheet rock but has a 3/4 inch dead air space between it and the 1/4 inch body.
The interior of the bear is particle board, armorvault uses a thin layer of steel.
The Armorvault are hand built one at a time by Mark and Harold. Extremely nice and easy going guys.
I personally would not use electronic locks, they eventually will fail.
I've owned a combination lock safe for 20 years, I much prefer the dual keyed locks on my armorvault.
Bear does make a heavier gauge safe, but out of the price range I was limited to.
And armorvault does make a lighter gauge safe, but I was trying to compare apples to apples for my point.
A person can spend any amount you want on a safe, I was just trying to get as much as I could for my money.
I believe armorvault gave me that, more so than bear would have.

Deepwoods

New to the site!
Reaction score
Sounds like a really nice safe. I did go with the Bear and it is one of the best purchases I've ever made.
The Bear and the Armorvault are far superior to any Chinese made big box store safe in the same price range.
I believe either one will last for as long as I and or my children and grand children will need.
One thing bout the Bear I do like very much is their exchange policy.

Best thing about a gun safe is buying stuff to fill it up! ha!

Latest posts

Top Bottom