Bear shot and killed by wildlife dept. in Norman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of our older members who were around in the early 1900s maybe able to tell us. What do you say @Deer Slayer @dennishoddy @MacFromOK just kidding guys.
In the late 90's there was a bear first sighted at Marland Ok, just south of Ponca. Former coworker had pictures of it in a tree and called the GW. It finally wandered off, and was sighted a couple more times heading in a southerly direction apparently following the Arkansas River. Pics were in the local newspaper.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are all kinds of wildlife moving up and down the river's here in Oklahoma. My ranch in Hughes county is on the Canadian River and has just about every animal you can imagine traveling through....that includes bear. I always carry a .357 mag pistol when I'm out alone. The bears don't really worry me too much...its the mountain lions that (I'm not wanting to be the main course in its lunch menu) that worry me the most. I have thousands of very large trees that a mountain lion could ambush me from....I need eyes in the top and back of my head.....LOL

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are all kinds of wildlife moving up and down the river's here in Oklahoma. My ranch in Hughes county is on the Canadian River and has just about every animal you can imagine traveling through....that includes bear. I always carry a .357 mag pistol when I'm out alone. The bears don't really worry me too much...its the mountain lions that (I'm not wanting to be the main course in its lunch menu) that worry me the most. I have thousands of very large trees that a mountain lion could ambush me from....I need eyes in the top and back of my head.....LOL
Amen on the cats. I'll take a bear anyday.
As to the bear. The only bear I have ever seen was in Durango (check my posts from 4 or 5 years ago). A buddy and I were sitting by the river in Durango partaking of some mountain juice when a large black bear wanders by not 30 yards from where we sat. Being a couple of dumbasses, half cocked, we whip out our phones to take a pick, in the dark at 2:30 am. The bear crossed the river and paid us no mind. Lucky for me, my buddy could Definately out run me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amen on the cats. I'll take a bear anyday.
As to the bear. The only bear I have ever seen was in Durango (check my posts from 4 or 5 years ago). A buddy and I were sitting by the river in Durango partaking of some mountain juice when a large black bear wanders by not 30 yards from where we sat. Being a couple of dumbasses, half cocked, we whip out our phones to take a pick, in the dark at 2:30 am. The bear crossed the river and paid us no mind. Lucky for me, my buddy could Definately out run me.
That's why I always say a .25 auto is the best bear defense weapon out there.
Shoot your buddy that can run faster in the knee cap and haul butt!!:bolt:

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do we know how the bear came to be in Norman?

Probably by walking but there is a possibility of it and several others being led by a “coyote” that paid to have him show them the way north. It could also have been a runaway and after leaving home and with no money it took up the oldest profession at the local truck stop only to be abused, robbed and left at the rest stop on the interstate.
There are 2 different black bears that have been caught on trail cams north and north east of pawhuska. Multiple pictures with consistent travel times since last November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom