Berdan primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delmato

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi guys. I recently got several thousand Berdan primers in a trade. I know Berdans are pretty much obsolete, but I had checked on Gunbroker and they have been selling for a premium price like 20-25 dollars per hundred. I wanted in on some of that, but I now found out that it is illegal to ship primers without paying a hazmat fee and going through a bunch of trouble. I guess I just want some opinions about if I should sell them as a lot and pay the fee or try to sell them here in Oklahoma within driving distance. This is NOT a sales pitch, just asking for some advice Thanks

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can sell some local do it. Although not many people reload with them.

Any you have to mail just pass the Hazmat off on the buyer.
Just like shipping cost.
People buy components from vendors all the time and pay the Hazmat.
Usually they try and combine a couple item to spread the cost out though.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago I had a rifle in cal. 8x68S which was introduced by RWS shortly before WWII. I had some pre WWII ammo with Berdan primers and it was a real pai in the neck to reload. I was real happy to see RWS introduce Boxer primed cases.
As a side note Berdan primers come in a wide variety of sizes.

jimktm520

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought Berdan primers ignited the powder trhough two holes in the case instead of one hole like a boxer primer. If this is true, how do you decap the cases?

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought Berdan primers ignited the powder trhough two holes in the case instead of one hole like a boxer primer. If this is true, how do you decap the cases?

Someone makes a tool, kind of works like a can opener. Other people use hydralics to do it. You tube is your friend here.

That's kinda why folks 'say' they are not reloadable.

thye can be reloaded. It's just a giant PITA compared to Boxer primed cases.

OP, depending on what size primers you have I might want some. I've got a mess of 8x57 Berdan primed brass I'd like to reuse.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not know of a shipper who will accept priemrs for shipment by individuals. I know that neither FEDEX nor UPS will accept them ijn my neck of the woods. FEDEX will not even accept ammo shipment from individuals.

jimktm520

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanx for the insight gents, I have never thought about reloading Berdan cases due to my misconceptions. Looks like something to check into now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom