Beretta Bobcat Model 21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreneKennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lady friend has not found a pistol that she can rack the slide. She is not interested in a revolver at all. We have looked online at the Beretta Model 21 (that's a .22LR). With the Tip Up barrel she could load round in barrel, insert magazine, and be good to go.

Even tho its a .22LR she believes if she can get 8 rounds towards the threat's center mass, she can defend herself.

Opinions welcomed on the Beretta or a pistol you think she may be able to rack the slide.

Thanks

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
she may be able to rack the slide but in my opinion a 21 is by no means reliable enough for self defense, they don't even have an ejector, strictly blow back. that's just my opinion but I have one and no way in hell would I rely on it!!!!!!!!!!!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might want to suggest to her the Tomcat. Same gun, a little larger and in .32acp, or if you can find one a Beretta 86. Same size as a 84 or 85, but with a tip-up barrel in .380.

LCPguy

Marksman
Reaction score
I bought a Beretta 21A for my wife and while it is fun to shoot at the range I would definitely discourage anyone from carrying it for sel-defense. It is not reliable enough to insure safety. If she needs a gun that is 100% reliable get her a small frame revolver in 32 or 38. My wife has no trouble shooting her Ruger LCR even with +p loads. She has the same problem with racking a slide. Her other gun that she really likes is a Bersa Thunder 380. Very reliable and she can rack it but it is a bit larger than the other 2.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you’ve described it, her main issue is cycling the slide. When my daughter was a pre-teen we taught her to cycle a slide by catching the corner of the slide on a bench and while using her body weight press down vertically on the grip. This technique works best for pistols with “boxy” slides and slightly exposed muzzles. She had no trouble cycling my Sigma SW40F.

Other thoughts:

I have a 950 BS (slightly smaller, single action) in .25 ACP. While I’ve owned it, it has never failed to eject a spent casing, despite the lack of an ejector. The .22 LR version may not be as reliable.

Regarding the suitability of the .22 LR for self defense, this is “center face” round, not “center mass”. And even at that, the saying goes something like “A face full will give you an advantage in the inevitable fistfight to follow”. I agree with the others this is not your best self defense option.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the beretta forums. There has been and still is a major issue with the frames of these guns being weak and breaking. Beretta's guarantee sux and they will not stand behind their product.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Tomcat thinking that the tip up barrel would be easier for my daughter.

She had more touble with the barrel release than she had racking the slide.

Try one out before you buy one for that reason.

She tried my Ruger snubbie in .357. She now claims that it is hers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom