Beretta Bobcat Model 21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have one, and agree with whats been said, they ain't reliable. Mine won't run with fed. at all, and also, jams are a bear to sort out. I got a 380 auto (FEG smc) for my wife and she hated it ,couldn't work the slide. Next was a charter arms 38, with pachmayrs which she likes ok, but what she likes better, is a H&R 929 with 2 1/2 inch barrel. These 9 shot revolvers have smaller grips & grip frames than the longer barrel models. For a woman, or anyone for that matter, that is not really into guns and shooting, a revolver makes a lot of sense, simple to operate, just pull the trigger.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several, in .22 lr and .25 acp. Never had a problem. I use CCI Stingers in the .22s. Although, I have fired all kinds of .22 ammo through them without any particular issues. The .25 acp fires well.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your lady friend doesn't want a revolver, she needs to begin hand/arm strengthening exercises to enable her to rack the slide of whatever handgun she chooses. Carrying an undependable or difficult to use firearm for self defense is just plain dumb. What's the girl going to do when she has a jam she needs to clear?

She really ought to go with a revolver.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your lady friend doesn't want a revolver, she needs to begin hand/arm strengthening exercises to enable her to rack the slide of whatever handgun she chooses. Carrying an undependable or difficult to use firearm for self defense is just plain dumb. What's the girl going to do when she has a jam she needs to clear?

I tried telling my wife she was both weak and dumb the other night. I'm glad I did it in the Spring. Sleeping out in the shop would have been hell in colder weather.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I would almost bet you are not married :)

I bought my wife a Tomcat because that is what she decided she wanted after spending a day gun shoping.

BTW: The cracked frame problem was fixed by Beretta, they went to what they call the Wide Slide Tomcat which doesn't have the frame issue.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy teaches CCW classes up north is so impressed with the Bobcats and Tomcats- they are the only guns "banned" from his classes. Steve says he's spent way to much time getting them to shoot...he'd just a soon loan his Ruger(s) to a student when they show up with one.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy teaches CCW classes up north is so impressed with the Bobcats and Tomcats- they are the only guns "banned" from his classes. Steve says he's spent way to much time getting them to shoot...he'd just a soon loan his Ruger(s) to a student when they show up with one.

Would guess that most just buy the gun and whatever ammo the store has on the shelf and go to the class without breaking it in or finding out what ammo it likes. The wife's Tomcat had a little issue with hollow points and the flat nosed Winchesters. They would sometimes hang up at the top entry to the chamber. I rounded off the sharp edge and polished everything, now it feeds anything..

How many guns under $500.00 can you buy and not have to break in and tweak here and there, in my experience very few.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would almost bet you are not married :)

I bought my wife a Tomcat because that is what she decided she wanted after spending a day gun shoping.

BTW: The cracked frame problem was fixed by Beretta, they went to what they call the Wide Slide Tomcat which doesn't have the frame issue.

Actually I am married. Her son would have liked her to carry something like a Glock with a high capacity magazine and I would have as well. After letting her try to cock multiple semiautos and using various techniques, it was apparent that she didn't have the strength to use them reliably. The Beretta Tomcat would have worked but it's not particularly potent and, for someone who doesn't wish to practice a lot, maybe not that reliable. For those reasons, she ended up with a revolver (Charter Arms Lavender Lady in 38 Special) which she is happy with.

There are issues with semiautos other than the strength needed to operate the slide such as jamming with limp wristing. To have a woman carry a weapon for self defense that she can't operate well for whatever reason is dumb and irresponsible. I can't speak to the reliability issue of the Beretta Tomcat but if practice with it proves it to be reliable, it would be better than nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom