Beretta M9/92F: OSA's Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beretta 92F/M9 is....

• An excellent fighting pistol.

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • A viable option, but not my first choice.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • A piece of ****.

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I selected viable option but not my first choice because that is the reality. Its obviously a viable option, it is being used with some success in theaters all over the world, but its not what I would want.

Where I think the Military gets it wrong is selecting a single weapon to cover all areas of everything. I think that if you are going to a desert you should get X if you are going to a jungle you should get Y if you are going into urban combat in a city you should get Z. Whether this is a variation of a platform in a different caliber or barrel contour/length or a totally different weapon system I think this is how it should be approached. It is a well accepted train of thought that there is no one perfect tool for all tasks in all environments, why we try and accomplish that is asinine.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since this is not CCW section - concealment is not an objective. As far as "fighting" pistol - I guess it's on top of the heap.

I guess that's what my "gunfights" would involve. I assume everyone else is going to war then? :D

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love the 92fs. It's been the most reliable gun I've ever owned and way more accurate than my Glock or 1911 and I wouldn't hesitate to take it into harms way.
I use it a lot for competition where it excels for me. It's soft recoiling helps quite a bit with follow up shots.
The grip is large, but it just feels right to me and I have medium sized hands.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three Italian made ones currently, and have owned several more over the years. I like them. I shoot better with a 1911, Hi-Power or Walther P88, but in terms of accuracy and firepower, simplicity, and availability of magazines, the 9mm 92 series is very hard to beat.

I am a big fan of the 84 series (the ones before the idiot stamps on the slide). Those are very accurate little 13 shot .380 pistols.

The fat grips on Berettas do not bother me because I have big hands.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have three Italian made ones currently, and have owned several more over the years. I like them. I shoot better with a 1911, Hi-Power or Walther P88, but in terms of accuracy and firepower, simplicity, and availability of magazines, the 9mm 92 series is very hard to beat.

I am a big fan of the 84 series (the ones before the idiot stamps on the slide). Those are very accurate little 13 shot .380 pistols.

The fat grips on Berettas do not bother me because I have big hands.

I have to go along with JB here. I for one like the 92 series, an have a Centurion(its actually for my son with his long fingers) , Browning BDA380, an a Beretta 85. The BDA is nothing more than an 84 with enclosed slide, an 92FS style safety levers. I wouldn't feel under or out gunned with a 92 an several spare mags.

Same goes for my BDA or 85, both of which I have lots of mags for.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted viable but not first pick. I was in the Navy when we went from the venerable old 1911A1 to the M9. I am not a fan of the 9mm round other than it is cheaper than 45. Ive owned 1911s, Berettas, and Glocks and like em all. They have thier strong points and weekness's. It is a fine platform. Its only down fall in my oppinion other than the fact it is in 9mm is that it has an aluminium frame. From a military perspective it greatly reduces it life expectancy to some where in 30,000 rnd range. Going from memory there. Could be a little or a lot off. And not that many people are going to put that many rounds through a weapon unless they compete so that point doesnt realy matter. The one that took me the longest to get used to was the Glocks freeking trigger. I hated it in the begining but have gotten used to it.

All in all the M9/92FS is a fine weapon and I can get good accuracy with it. I dont mind the wieght or the recoil. Not to mention I like the lines of the weapon. They are sexy.. Just my two cents

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ergo's are wrong for me (and I shoot Glocks, go figure) and its too large for the caliber. The fighting I would use it for would be in the CCW world. My military days are 30+ years ago and it was still the S&W (Air Force) and 1911 (rest of the branches).

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's "funny" that 1911 is brought-up; despite being an icon perfection of pistol design; M9 is imply a better gun.
Same weight, same size, double the capacity and double the service life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom