Best 1911 for the $

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with that S&W in the classifieds. That's a heck of a gun for $800 to begin with, not to mention the work by Dr Greyson.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with that S&W in the classifieds. That's a heck of a gun for $800 to begin with, not to mention the work by Dr Greyson.

I agree that looks like a heck of a deal.

Outside of that, if buying new, I think the Colt Series 70 reproductions are the best deal out there for the money, though for a more basic model at under $900 it does not appear to be what you are shopping for (which seems to be more of a "combat" or loaded model at a higher price point).

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that looks like a heck of a deal.

Outside of that, if buying new, I think the Colt Series 70 reproductions are the best deal out there for the money, though for a more basic model at under $900 it does not appear to be what you are shopping for (which seems to be more of a "combat" or loaded model at a higher price point).

+1

I like the idea of a Colt Series 70 or a Sprinfield Mil-Spec or Loaded. The new and the used S&W are a good deal also. I have a S&W and it has been completely reliable for me from day one. I don't have a ton of rounds through it, 2,000 or so.

It really depends on what you want. The best advice that can be given is to just shoot some different 1911's and see what you want/need out of it. It's a lot cheaper to rent firearms than it is to purchase something you don't really like.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the best money spent, Rock River Armory, under 500 bucks. I had no issues with mine.

I think you mean Rock Island, a big difference. RI is a good low end entry 1911.

Several people talking about Les Baer and other custom pistols, excellent pistol but about double your budget (and no you do not often find good used ones for half that).

Springfield Loaded (I like the Black Stainless Target) are excellent pistols. Most of the Kimbers are outstanding but quality control has been spotty for the last couple of years. Either one of these would be available for less than your budget and you could ship it to olyeller or Dr. Greyson for a tune-up and have a great 1911.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought his budget was $1500, if so he can surely find nice used Les Baer's and almost a new Baer PII. You might also check with Gary at randgfirearms.com He is a 1911 nutt and will make you a great deal. I paid just a little over what your wanting to spend for my Ted Yost Colt 70 Series, he's also as honest as they come. If he tells you something you need not worry. It's true.
ai203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_1933.jpg

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of this TRP, what do you guys think. The S&W didn't do much for me. Don't know where its been or how it shoots.

Attachments

• PC9105LP.jpg
    PC9105LP.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 171

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of this TRP, what do you guys think. The S&W didn't do much for me. Don't know where its been or how it shoots.[/quote

all-in all, the real question is what do you think, personnal confidance in your choice goes a long way in how well you and the gun become one, this is a large factor in our choice also................

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of this TRP, what do you guys think. The S&W didn't do much for me. Don't know where its been or how it shoots.

I have a TRP Operator that shoots just as accurate if not more accurate than my Professional. It's a great choice if you like the rail on a 1911.
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom