Best way to break in leather holster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Looper 3-slot holster for my G19. The gun is super tight in the holster. It's so tight that when I go to put the gun in the holster, it pushes the slide back. I have to hold the slide in place to insert the gun. I know leather holsters need to be broke in, but is there a way to speed this process?

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A trick I've used for years.....spray the inside of the holster with NON petroleum based silicone.Makes it really slick.Do NOT use the petroleum based stuff.As a side benefit,it sheds moisture.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Store the gun in the holster a few days. The leather will "remember" it's new shape. An additional thickness of something, like a plastic bag may be necessary. I always try it without the bag first.

Avoid saddle soap, or anything else that will make the leather more pliable; it will kill the nice bone job, as well as make the holster useless as a snug fit holster pretty quick.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd add that you might try drawing and reholstering your gun 20-50 times after you've left the gun in the holster for a day or so.

+1 This is another critical part of break-in. After you get the holster to fit the gun, then you have to get your draw stroke to fit the gun. 50 or more times is a beginning to develop the essential muscle memory.

RyanH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sol.torluemke said:
I'd add that you might try drawing and reholstering your gun 20-50 times after you've left the gun in the holster for a day or so.

I use this method but in front of a mirror to see how cool I look! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom