Bicycles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, are bicycles considered vehicles or pedestrians? They do have to follow the rules for vehicles if they are driven on the streets, right? Or do they have to follow the rules for pedestrians?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, are bicycles considered vehicles or pedestrians? They do have to follow the rules for vehicles if they are driven on the streets, right? Or do they have to follow the rules for pedestrians?

probably depends on which rules you're talking about. In most cases they are vehicles, but sometimes the rules are written differently to account for differences in ability/design/etc.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got home from Enid and this guy on a bicycle was driving westbound W. Garriott in the eastbound lane. I didn't see him until just before I made a RH turn onto Garriot and this guy is making a LH turn into my lane. My better half said that he was really cussing me out.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got home from Enid and this guy on a bicycle was driving westbound W. Garriott in the eastbound lane. I didn't see him until just before I made a RH turn onto Garriot and this guy is making a LH turn into my lane. My better half said that he was really cussing me out.

Most places have cyclists travel in the same direction as traffic when on the street, which i thin is what you are describing (i'm not familiar with those streets). Some people 'salmon' (i.e. swim against the current) but it's usually not legal and (at least in my experience) not common in practice.

The only instance i know of (which is by no means exhaustive) where you'd see a person moving counter to traffic is if there dedicated path on one side of the road (where both bike lanes are placed side by side). But those are usually separated from the rest of traffic, but would give the appearance of someone riding against the direction of the other vehicles.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swampy, you are exactly correct! Bicycles are to follow the same rules of the road as automobiles! Some of the dingbats riding facing traffic and wobbling give me more grey hair.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He should be going with traffic, and taking his entire lane so drivers can see him (and also not attempt to pass him within his lane).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you travel to places outside of Oklahoma, they have bike lanes that parallel motor vehicle traffic. You have to really watch your right side when making a turn to not turn into a bicyclist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom