Bicycles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you travel to places outside of Oklahoma, they have bike lanes that parallel motor vehicle traffic. You have to really watch your right side when making a turn to not turn into a bicyclist.

Cyclists call that the ‘right hook’. We’ve been working with city to minimize those interactions when we can. So when designing roads we try to have the car ‘turn from the curb’ when possible so that it’s not turning across the bike lane. Sometimes it means adding right turn lanes so that cars go from left of the bike lane to right of it before turning.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even though a bicyclist is required to follow the laws of the road and one is headed toward traffic and you hit him, shame on you! I think they’d throw the book at you. Anyone have any knowledge of a bicycle hit head-on and what happed to the driver of the car? If a car was in the wrong lane headed toward you and is hit, the onus is on him, not the driver in the proper lane-but a bicyclist is a different horse altogether.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though a bicyclist is required to follow the laws of the road and one is headed toward traffic and you hit him, shame on you! I think they’d throw the book at you. Anyone have any knowledge of a bicycle hit head-on and what happed to the driver of the car? If a car was in the wrong lane headed toward you and is hit, the onus is on him, not the driver in the proper lane-but a bicyclist is a different horse altogether.

Not really. Drivers who hit cyclists are rarely deemed at fault by law enforcement. At least in the instances I’ve seen.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I follow road rules of auto traffic when I ride

one of my several road bikes
1984 Cannondale
326C7469-31DD-4CDB-BA90-11119C9D53E9.jpeg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the confusion about cycling against vehicle traffic is a result of pedestrian recommendations.

It's often been recommended that pedestrians walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic, so they can avoid being hit by a vehicle (ha! before texting, anyway). This also makes it harder to hitch/thumb a ride, which has generally been frowned upon (even when tolerated).

As usual, just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
___

Latest posts

Top Bottom