Big Rail Workers Union Rejects Biden-Backed Labor Deal, Renews Strike Possibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes; they have some unhappy workers but were there any specific contract issues mentioned that would satisfy the unions? All I saw was a list of grievances.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily...-brings-new-focus-on-work-attendance-policies
Looks like the main sticking points - (gleaned from this and a couple other things I read) are sick time, and on-call time. I had no idea this morning, but it is as I suspected. On-call, no set hours, not eligible for off-time.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That definitely sounds like a crap existence for a lot of them. If it was me, especially now that everyone is reportedly desperate for good people, I'd quit and take a job with better conditions. It's really hard for me to not apply free market thinking on this - if enough people quit, company will adjust or die.
Here's the rub: railway jobs start low, and you invest a lot of time to even get a full-time, somewhat predictable job. Folks don't want to "start over" - they simply want working conditions to improve.

I figure the RR president and upper management ought to take those jobs for about three months. People are willing to be good employees, and instinctively want to be loyal, but it's a ***** when the company takes all that for granted.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the rub: railway jobs start low, and you invest a lot of time to even get a full-time, somewhat predictable job. Folks don't want to "start over" - they simply want working conditions to improve.

I figure the RR president and upper management ought to take those jobs for about three months. People are willing to be good employees, and instinctively want to be loyal, but it's a ***** when the company takes all that for granted.
Sure, I get that it's not a simple, just quit and move on thing in real life. Moving on after you've got some tenure in a job, union or not, isn't easy. However, if it's that bad, quit. From what I read from the 28 people in the article, I wouldn't put up with that s***. Especially right now. There is apparently lots of demand for good people. Find somewhere that will appreciate you. In the process, the RR that didn't get it will falter and adjust to the times.

Also, they might have to trade some money for quality of life. A LOT of people make those choices in their career. Pretty much everyone I'd think.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're basically on call 365 days, and can be called back after a rest period. RR want the guys to work solo, which is dangerous, long hour hours, no sick time, no vacation. Penalized for taking off work. No bereavement or family time. Time off and safety are there two biggest issues.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're basically on call 365 days, and can be called back after a rest period. RR want the guys to work solo, which is dangerous, long hour hours, no sick time, no vacation. Penalized for taking off work. No bereavement or family time. Time off and safety are there two biggest issues.
sounds kinda like farming?

Latest posts

Top Bottom