Bills of Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple months back I sold my Shield 9mm to one of you guys here, which was my first time selling a gun privately. Didn't think much of it, but should I have a bill of sale for future sales or is that some sort of taboo? Any down/upsides worth noting. I've seen videos on both sides but it's divided.

If someone were to want one suddenly when you're about to buy a gun from a guy would you just leave?

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought and sold a few. I've never been asked anyone for a bill of sale, or been asked for one. I wouldn't necessarily walk away from a deal if one was requested. I don't see how they're worth much without a witness, a notary, or some way to validate it.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the gun is found at a crime scene, you have the name and signature of the buyer. This should be enough to start LE looking in another direction if they discover you owned the gun at some point.
You'd have A name and signature, not necessarily the correct ones unless you checked their ID and can tell if it's genuine.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the gun is found at a crime scene, you have the name and signature of the buyer. This should be enough to start LE looking in another direction if they discover you owned the gun at some point.

Someone could just fabricate a bunch of names and signatures and tell the cops "nope, wasn't me, I have this slip of paper to prove it." I'm not a cop, but I don't think that would be enough to deter them if they had reason to believe you were the bad guy.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd certainly ask them to remove the ski mask, but I understand why legal buyers would want to keep a private sale private. (kidding about the mask)
If something didn't feel right I would definitely back out. I've only experienced that one time.
I prefer to do most business with people from this board and have never had a problem. Armslist on the other hand, is a good place to find whackos.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you are required by law to verify that the buyer is a resident of your state.
If you are a resident of Okla. and NOT an FFL dealer, it is a felony to sell a gun to a non-Okla resident.
FFL holders can sell longguns to residents of other states, but no handguns.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you are required by law to verify that the buyer is a resident of your state.
If you are a resident of Okla. and NOT an FFL dealer, it is a felony to sell a gun to a non-Okla resident.
FFL holders can sell longguns to residents of other states, but no handguns.
I'm not required by law to verify a persons residence before selling a gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom