Black Powder search

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerfan66

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone bought any black powder locally ? Called one store and person that answered didn't know what 2F or 3F was so not sure when he said no if was right or not . May call back tomorrow morning and try asking someone else .

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, to be honest, I guess everything I saw was a substitute. I don’t think I saw any true black powder. Just pyrodex et al. My brain saw black powder and thought muzzle loader propellant. Not literal black powder.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn’t the whole reason true blackpowder is scarce is because of government regulations? It’s classified as a literal explosive, vs substitutes and smokeless that are just “flammables”

Basically businesses have to build a special storage area and go through extra hoops to carry real black powder because it’s an explosive. Due to the regulations, most businesses won’t bother carrying it.

As a younger guy, I have only ever used substitutes in my muzzleloaders. Although somewhere in my heart, I love the idea of a traditional muzzleloader with true black powder.

So where can we get it? Does anyone know of a place to get real black powder? Goex?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most everyone has gone to substitutes now, so I don’t figure you’ll find “black powder” in stock anywhere except a place like Powder Valley. For the first time that I’ve seen in years, they’ve got Goex in stock.
If you don’t want to mail order it, it’s only a couple hours up there from the City.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most everyone has gone to substitutes now, so I don’t figure you’ll find “black powder” in stock anywhere except a place like Powder Valley. For the first time that I’ve seen in years, they’ve got Goex in stock.
If you don’t want to mail order it, it’s only a couple hours up there from the City.
I use www.powderinc.com. Highly recommend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom