[Bleep] Pocket Gophers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I live out in the sticks.
Mostly because I enjoy not having some city do-gooder telling me how to live my life.

I have enjoyed numerous days out in the yard shooting the little sub-terrarium terrorist with various firearms.
I have found this method to be quite certain and final in eliminating the little rascals.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I live out in the sticks.
Mostly because I enjoy not having some city do-gooder telling me how to live my life.

This.

I have enjoyed numerous days out in the yard shooting the little sub-terrarium terrorist with various firearms.

This.

I have found this method to be quite certain and final in eliminating the little rascals.

They still come back every year for me... but when they're done decomposing I get a spot of slightly greener grass...

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are allowed to have chickens get some of those. The chicken activity, scratching the ground looking for some morsel to eat, seems to drive away the gophers. Guinea fowl work too, but they are somewhat noisy.

As a bonus, you get fresh eggs and fertilizer for the garden.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you. I am thinking about ordering one of these. Little buggers won't leave me alone.

http://www.critterridders.com/gopher.htm

I have the poison applicator tool and it works great. Easy and effective. The ground must be a little moist like a few days after a rain in the spring and fall. Prob around the edge of the mound and you will find a tunnel. Usually i find 2 mounds and visualize a line between them and probe there and thats where i usually find the tunnel. This one is 80 bucks but i paid 25 bucks at the local farm store in Tuttle.
I wanted it for the gophers in my pasture but my neighbor across the street had an infestation in his front yard (I had none in my yard but lots in the pasture) so as a test that i could easily monitor, i asked him if i could kill his gophers (of course he was more than cooperative) so i poisoned every mound in his yard (probably 50-60) and kicked them flat once i treated them so i knoew which ones were already done AND so i could watch for new activity. 3 years later now and 2 mounds have popped up in the last month. So it knocked them out for quite a while. The trick is, i think, to to put plenty of the poison grain in the tunnel so they take it back to the nest and feed the whole family on it...belly aches for all.

tmadlock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you. I am thinking about ordering one of these. Little buggers won't leave me alone.

http://www.critterridders.com/gopher.htm

Gonna have to get one of those! The gophers are about to carry me away! I have been putting poison peanuts in the tunnels, but am worried about my dogs. I sure do like the idea of blowing the tunnels, but can't stomach the price tag! Thanks for the info.......

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had decent luck with the gas sticks. I'm afraid to try the Rodenator--the little bastards have dug under my house, and if I set off an explosion, I'm liable to crack the foundation.

I think a half-dozen gas sticks, plus the tailpipes from a couple of engines, will somehow find their way into my yard come spring....

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had them (well, at least one - don't know much about gophers) when I moved into my house in Moore, but when my dogs started patrolling the back yard, they (or he/she?) quickly left.

One is a dachshund/mini-pinscher mix, so his first course of action was to begin tracking and digging for them; it's well ingrained in his blood! The gopher(s) seemed to take the hint found another residence (probably just my neighbor :D).

Probably not a reasonable solution for most people, but it worked for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom