Bottom eject 12GA home defense shotguns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

av8r115

I'm planning to purchase a home defense 12ga shotgun and want to get a bottom eject gun. I looked at the Ithaca 37, then I was told about the Browning BPS, which has a better safety. But the only defensive model I saw on Browning's web site was a .410. What are some other bottom eject 12ga defensive shotguns?

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot w/ both hands. I don't want any distractions if I need to use it in a defense situation.
I've shot the 870 left handed without issue. They are fine for bilateral shooting. But, if you must have a bottom eject, ithaca is the way to go

J

Jckellison

I have te Stevens 350 security model... I love it. Walked out the door at Big5 at $220 w/tax, and after several hundred rounds, various 2.75/3" shells/slugs/and the occasional breach load, I can't see any weekness in this firearm.

Accessories beyond the "universal" are very limited. I had to machine an aluminum plug to swap out the stock for an AR style stock and pistol grip, but the factory stock is also great.

Seems much better fit and finish that models in the same price range, and I'd choose it hands down over the Mossy 500a1 I have. Just a solid performing shotgun.

A

av8r115

Guys, thanks for all of the excellent input. After thinking about all the comments I've seen on the forum and online, attending the HDS class at H&H, and bugging the heck out of Will at H&H I decided to go w/ a Remington 870. It may seem like a lot of effort, but I'm careful how I spend my money.

Here are the things that changed my mind:
Several people commented they shoot the 870 leftie and never had a problem.

At the HDS class I saw how awkward it is to clear/check the chamber on a bottom eject gun.

Also at the HDS class we talked about using natural movements and positioning your body to naturally point the weapon. My natural instinct on any long gun is right handed, so the leftie thing comes in only if my right side gets hurt or, as Will pointed out, I'm clearing a right corner.

On the 870 it is very easy to load a shell directly into the chamber if I empty the magazine. Not so on the bottom eject guns.

At first I liked the BPS for the tang safety, but then I realized (also thanks to Will) the safety on an HD shotgun is proper handling, same as my Glock.

The 870 HD comes in a tremendous number of varieties, while the Ithaca 37 has very few, and the only BPS 12ga HD I could find were custom jobs.

Thanks again for everyone's help!! :)

BTW, you did get out and vote today, right?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to say on a bottom ejecting gun
1. you cannot easily see your chamber to see if loaded or not
2. you cannot drop a shell into the receiver, move the slide forward, and be ready to shoot. With a bottom ejector, once gun is empty, you have to 1st load shell into chamber, then rack slide to move it to the chamber. this is one extra step over a 870 or side eject gun. One extra step I don't want for self defense or even for hunting.
3. you cannot easily see both the chamber and magazine to see if gun is loaded or empty, i think you need to rack the slide a couple of times to insure it is empty (i might have this a little off can't remember).
4. what i like about side eject, is that when empty, i can load a shell into receiver and then chamber without even looking down at the gun, i can keep my eyes on the target. could maybe to this with a bottom ejector with practice but I don't think it would be as easy or fast.

left handed shooters have shot a 870 and other side eject guns successfully for years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom