Bottom eject 12GA home defense shotguns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm left handed too and an 870 works fine for me. I love those old Ithaca Police 37's. One of these days when I have money in my pocket I'll find one.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go retro! Find a Remington model 10 and saw it off to your liking. Forget the safety, just leave it off and keep the hammer dropped for instant availability of the first of six rounds. Bottom eject, and according to my books, the most difficult pump ever to disassemble/reassemble.

I grew up with one of these, and while they were fine shotguns, I agree with the 870 recommendation. I think you are envisioning a problem where one doesn't exist.

The most jam free pump that I know of, to date, is the Smith 1000. Long out of production, but no one was ever able to jam it as far as I know. Friend of mine was on their long gun advisory board--that's where I got the info. A scared short stroke can jam a '37, an 870, a Mossy 500 (also a very good choice), and just about every other pump. You may have seen 870s with a slot cut in the carrier. This is to enable clearing a stack jam with a key, knife blade, etc. Without that, a jammed 870 is a club.

The Smith 1000s are not very expensive if you can find one, and there were some in the home defense/law enforcement configuration.

If you have to go modern, the 870 Express may be your best bet, though their actions are not as smooth as the older 870s unless you do a lot of tuning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom