Bout to Buy me a O/U

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rg1964

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to spend be between 7 and 8 hundred. I have a Rem 870 now but started doing some skeet shooting and really want a o/u for around that price. What do you guy suggest?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you have either too much, or not enough. LOL A really good over/under can run well over a thousand. There are some less expensive ones that you can usually find at Bass Pro, or Academy. Usually in the $400-600.00 range. Make sure you look them over. Ejectors are your friend! Especially when bird hunting and the action is hot. A lot of the cheaper guns don't have ejectors. They pop out just enough where you can get a grip on them and remove them manually. Also, a selector switch for the barrels is a nice feature to have. Some cheaper guns don't have them, some do.

Good luck. I used to have a Franchi Veloce O/U in 20 gauge that I loved.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For that price range I'd look for a good condition used Browning Citori. It will hold its value better and you'll enjoy it more than a new O/U you could buy for that price.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are only shooting clays where you are limited to two shots, fine. If you plan on anything else with the gun, I would strongly advise you to look into semi auto.

Im not discrediting O/U's. I shot competitively from the age of 12 to 20 and I have several O/Us including one that costs as much as a new Toyota Corola.

That all said, the O/U has some major drawbacks. Recoil, roundcount, and accuracy are to name a few. So like I said, just going to be shooting clays, fine. Go buy a yildz or a cheaper brand and see if you like O/Us first. Going to hunt with it? Save yourself some trouble and go get a good SA.

Again, just my .02 from a competitor/hunter perspective. (well, in all honesty, I havent competed in 12 years).

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree. I used nothing but autos for the last twenty years, and recently switched to an O/U for all uses. I could not be happier. I prefer the O/U for hunting by a large margin, and with clays, its a completely different world.

I would suggest saving a bit more money. For 1100-1300, you can get into a really nice used Browning or Franchi. I shoot a Browning Cynergy 20, and absolutely love it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree. I used nothing but autos for the last twenty years, and recently switched to an O/U for all uses. I could not be happier. I prefer the O/U for hunting by a large margin, and with clays, its a completely different world.

I would suggest saving a bit more money. For 1100-1300, you can get into a really nice used Browning or Franchi. I shoot a Browning Cynergy 20, and absolutely love it.

You cant exactly disagree that there is accuracy issues in a dual barrel system, you also cant argue that recoil will be significantly more on a fixed breech shotgun, you also cant argue that capacity is lower on an O/U.

So what is it that you disagree with? What are you counterpoints? Or do you like the O/U because it feels cooler than a pump or sa? If thats the reason, fine, I'm not knocking you for it. I still hunt pheasant with an O/U. But for dove, quail etc... pbth. But what I said is the facts, there are multiple reasons NOT to get a O/U.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For upland bird hunting, you lose one round. One round is hardly worth worrying about, in exchange for a much better handling and shooting gun. While the loss of a round is a fact, I do not see it as a detractor in any way.

I have yet to see an accuracy issue with a double. I kill the same amount of birds, if not more with the double, with either barrel.

I suppose recoil could be an issue. I have never noticed it, but it is logical. I shoot a 20ga, just because the gun handles better. I went from shooting a 20ga 1100 to a 20ga double, and have not noticed a difference in recoil either way.

Im not arguing about the factuality any of your points, with the possible exception of the accuracy. I am simply stating that I dont see them as a negative. There are just as many reasons not to get an auto, or a pump.

Latest posts

Top Bottom