Bout to Buy me a O/U

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For upland bird hunting, you lose one round. One round is hardly worth worrying about, in exchange for a much better handling and shooting gun. While the loss of a round is a fact, I do not see it as a detractor in any way.

I have yet to see an accuracy issue with a double. I kill the same amount of birds, if not more with the double, with either barrel.

I suppose recoil could be an issue. I have never noticed it, but it is logical. I shoot a 20ga, just because the gun handles better. I went from shooting a 20ga 1100 to a 20ga double, and have not noticed a difference in recoil either way.

Im not arguing about the factuality any of your points, with the possible exception of the accuracy. I am simply stating that I dont see them as a negative. There are just as many reasons not to get an auto, or a pump.

Accuracy might not be the best word for it. Im talking about pattern convergence. O/Us are setup to have a point where the spread from either barrel will hit the same area. The problem is, with differing types of shot, or even powder changes will change the range at which this occurs. You might not have noticed it in your experience, but it is a bane to some shooters.

As for the 3 round maximum... I've seen and I have taken 3 birds with 3 shots. Never taken 3 with 2 shots. ;)

Now the handling... we can go on for hours about that. Over and Unders handle better than what other shotgun? Are we talking an Academy $399 O/U vs a $399 Wingmaster? Or are we talking about a very high dollar O/U vs a very high dollar gas operated sa? If the latter, I have both and have never noticed one handled better than the other.

My best advice to the OP is not to blow your wad on your first O/U. I would start by finding a used one at a little less than what you are wanting to spend. See how you like it. If you find it so-so, keep that one and call it good. If you cant stand it, sell it. If you really like it, sell it and then save another $1k and buy a nice one.

I've got a Citori that I dont use, but I might have to do a tax stamp and make her into a toy.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see your point, and I still disagree.

I went from shooting an 1100 Special Field and a Franchi 48AL, arguably the two very best handling semi autos made. I still think the Browning swings and follows better than either, but that is largely personal preference.

As for the round count, when you have a bird limit, getting 3 birds with 3 shots as opposed to two is irrelevant. I am there for the hunt, not the kill. Again, personal preference I suppose.

My biggest contention, however, is the suggestion to buy a cheap O/U to try it out. That doesnt work. A cheap Huglu, Baikal, or Yildiz does not handle like a good shotgun does. They are crude and bulky, and while they will kill birds, the true feel of the gun is not there. I feel that one could very well decide he does not like the O/U based on the crude gun, before ever even knowing what a good one shoots like.

I dont have the experience others do. I am mostly a quail and dove hunter, with occasional, recreational clays thrown in on the off season. I have fired a lot of rounds through various shotguns, and nothing beats a quality O/U, in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with a nice semi, but they just arent the same.

Reaction score
Fox or Savage, used. Less $$ than your budget, and very good.

For something a little newer and fancier (but not necessarily better), a slightly used Huglu / CZ / DeHaan should come in at about that - maybe even new on sale somewhere. Some of the Huglus are scaled down - the 28 gauges are nicely proportioned guns; maybe others. I would definitely put the Huglus a good notch or two above the "also rans" - Yildiz, Mossberg, Baikal, etc. A lot nicer fit & finish; not sure about longevity though.

The new-ish Stevens 512 (O/U) and 612 (SxS) Goldwings are also fully-scaled, independently for every caliber, and around $500 new. Interesting but I'm not sure how good. Turkish-made, of course. I would put these, on first glance, between the Yildiz/Mossberg/Baikal/etc., and the Huglus, in fit and finish. Maybe a bit closer to Yildiz.

I prefer a semi-auto or pump. I can just hit a little better for some reason - and a good one is cheaper (albeit with fewer braggin rights).

This:

I would suggest saving a bit more money. For 1100-1300, you can get into a really nice used Browning or Franchi. I shoot a Browning Cynergy 20, and absolutely love it.

is excellent advice. Save a *little* more, and get a *lot* better gun. A good used 'B gun' (Browning, Beretta) or Franchi or Winchester can come in at the $1k and up mark. Something like a Citori or Cynergy - good stuff.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know where you guys are looking, but you can find citoris for as little as $400 that still have life in them. If you can, find some skeet and clay clubs for some of the northern states and see if there's a used gear link.

lilysdad, my reference to Ylidz was more tongue in cheek than anything. My point was to not go all out on something you might end up selling. In my last post I suggested looking for a used gun at less than the cost he has outlined. For that price, you can find a good, used franchi or citori, you just gotta look in the right places. Gun websites, you'll get raped. Pawn shops are probably going to be devoid of higher end over and unders. So find a community that does skeet and clays and look there. Most of the time, the guns you see for sale are from people that are following the advice I am giving. They start off with a lower priced browning or franchi, and once they decide over and under is the tits, they opt to buy a high end beretta.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a Citori Gran Lightning with luggage case one time for $850 at the Wanenmacher show. The guy wanted a Benelli Super Black Eagle a couple of rows over and needed $850 to get it. I was pretty happy with that deal and REALLY liked that shotgun.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You cant exactly disagree that there is accuracy issues in a dual barrel system, you also cant argue that recoil will be significantly more on a fixed breech shotgun, you also cant argue that capacity is lower on an O/U.

So what is it that you disagree with? What are you counterpoints? Or do you like the O/U because it feels cooler than a pump or sa? If thats the reason, fine, I'm not knocking you for it. I still hunt pheasant with an O/U. But for dove, quail etc... pbth. But what I said is the facts, there are multiple reasons NOT to get a O/U.

Don't take it personal. You sound like you're getting upset. I'll give you some counterpoints. A good O/U will balance better than any SA I've ever shot, which usually translate into less fatigue because it feels lighter than a semi. And I've shot Benelli, Remington, Winchester, Browning, and Ithica semis. A good O/U is every bit as accurate as a semi. If you're worried about recoil, shoot a 20 or 28 gauge. You're kidding about the capacity, right? You lose one shell for migratory birds. And I'm sorry, if you can't hit a bird in two shots, you need to practice more. Your facts are your opinion. Doesn't mean it's everyone's opinion.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take it personal. You sound like you're getting upset. I'll give you some counterpoints. A good O/U will balance better than any SA I've ever shot, which usually translate into less fatigue because it feels lighter than a semi. And I've shot Benelli, Remington, Winchester, Browning, and Ithica semis. A good O/U is every bit as accurate as a semi. If you're worried about recoil, shoot a 20 or 28 gauge. You're kidding about the capacity, right? You lose one shell for migratory birds. And I'm sorry, if you can't hit a bird in two shots, you need to practice more. Your facts are your opinion. Doesn't mean it's everyone's opinion.

I wasnt getting upset. I was offering what I knew from 8 years of competitive experience and 20+ years of hunting experience. I have no issues with over and unders since I have been shooting them since I was 10.

But to counter your talk here:
Accuracy: I corrected my use of the term accuracy. Pattern convergence is an issue with any dual barrel system. You dont have to believe me, ask the pros.
Recoil: I never said a 12 ga from a fixed breech is too much for *me*. I shoot a lot larger than 12 ga from over/unders and breakovers no problem. However, not everyone is me.
Capacity: Yes, as I said, I have taken out 3 birds with 3 shots, yet I have never taken 3 birds with 2 shots. I understand the whole, "Im in it for the hunt." But in all honesty, both my dogs, and I would rather be drinking beer and tossing dummies than walking through uneven ground. Im out there to take what I need, then go home and eat.

Everything I have stated is a fact. I never stated that 12ga on a fixed breech is too much. I just said the recoil will be more than a gas operated semi auto. I never stated you need the extra shot, I did state the capacity was limiting. I never said a person cant be just as accurate with an O/U, I said there is a convergence of patterning issue (which any pro, and by pro Im talking about the guys getting paid to compete, not club shoots, will agree).

So, whos getting upset? Take the time to read my posts, then come back and discuss it... :hyper:

I'm not trying to deter anyone from owning an O/U. I have a lot of money tied up in them. But I would hate to see anyone go out and buy a $2500-$15,000 shotgun and find out they dont like it. Its a lot easier to turn around and sell a $400-700 used O/U than anyone of them thats in the 1500+ range.

Now as far as weighted balance, well, thats just a preference isnt it? I've said it once, I cant tell much of a difference in my high end shotgun, beit my overunders or my semi-autos. However, I will tell you, I have heard many people complain after several rounds of skeet, or making the rounds at all the stations doing sporting clays that their light O/U is wearing them out. I know when my uncle first got me into competitions back in the 80s, I could tell the difference in fatigue caused by fixed breech and light weight. Unfortunately, my uncle said the O/U would make a man out of me so I didnt start shooting SAs in competition till I was in my late teens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom