Brass Tumbler Media Homebrew

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
About 25 years ago my LGS told me that they mix some kind of wax (the binder) , with aluminum oxide powder (the abrasive). Can't remember for sure. But their Cobb worked way better than my bare cobb.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Copper pins of different lengths and diameters in a hot water solution with about 1/16 teaspoon lemishing to a few drops of dawn or palmolive for 2 quarts of water.
Tumble for 1 hour to 2 hours drain and rinse about 5 times and lay out on a towel to dry.

I used to use a vibratory with media and gave up.
Recently I read a guy on another forum got the red colored media in the handy see through jug. said it is better than naything he ever used,, results were almost comparable to pin tumbling.

He got it at a garage sale for cheap and said other wise he would have never tried it.
I will try it one day.

I have used glass beads that cost me 65 bucks for a large bag.
Cases felt like silk when i was done tumbling.

Stainless pins i have are long and heavy not the typical short ones.. the long ones rough up my cases make bullet seating inconsistent as the neck ID is roughed up.. can't see it so much but you can sure feel it.

I heard the small pins if used too long will do the same.
You will probably never notice it on a 1 MOA deal you will on a 1/2 MOA deal and it will drive you crazy

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'll be running a thousand LC 556 cases tomorrow using the Frankford rotary, stainless pins, dawn and lemishine. i'll post some pix, i've used the same setup all of last year, the cases come out super clean and shine like a diamond in a goat's butt

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I DIYed a wet tumbler from washing machine motor some 2X4s, steel rods and bearings. I used it for a couple of years, it worked great. However, it just took a little tinkering. I was using plastic juice bottle for the barrel. My last improvement was putting fuel line over the rods to stop the jug from slipping. The improvement worked so well that I started getting holes in the jug after a couple of hours. The friction would cause heat and the jug would crack.
Well, I decided to go out and buy 4" pvc pipe to make a jug. I was talking to another a guy about my adventure, he knew someone that was going to toss a professional built wet rock tumbler.
Now, I have tumbler that I can clean a few hundred pieces of brass at a time. Plus, a homemade one taking up space in my garage.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here's 400 i ran earlier today. clean and polished inside and out, primer pockets clean and shiny

i1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa398_crayj_762x51_DSC_1135.jpg

i1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa398_crayj_762x51_DSC_1137.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom