BREAKING: Texas AG Accuses Cheaper Than Dirt of Price Gouging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The government can not tell them how much to charge, but they can charge them if the company is blatantly ripping off the public. They have done it with gas stations and others in the past. A one time a mouse could fart in the middle east and some gas stations would double their gas prices over night. Now they have to be mindful that the government is watching. They can still raise their price based on what they think gas will cost them in the future. They just can not be stupid about it.
I remember when 9/11 happened I was at work and guys were coming in saying you better go fill your car up. Gas is already $3.00 a gallon in some places. I seem to remember some of those places getting in trouble. Or at the very least told to cut it out.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read the attached article. That's not what's being done.
Actually it is what's being done. Ammo is not a necessity. Protected by the 2nd yes, a necessity no. You don't need it to survive. If this goes to court and the AG wins, it sets precedent for everything on a retailers shelves. Again, careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government can not tell them how much to charge, but they can charge them if the company is blatantly ripping off the public. They have done it with gas stations and others in the past. A one time a mouse could fart in the middle east and some gas stations would double their gas prices over night. Now they have to be mindful that the government is watching. They can still raise their price based on what they think gas will cost them in the future. They just can not be stupid about it.
AFAIK, in Oklahoma, gas stations are only prohibited from raising their prices above a certain percentage if they are in an area covered by an emergency declaration by the governor. There's nothing from stopping them from jacking their prices to $20/gal tonight, other than the knowledge that they would lose all their business.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The AG isn't attempting to tell them what to charge. The problem seems to be the deceptive pricing, where the advertised price is one thing, but when they went to "check-out" the price had changed. I have no disagreement with the AG stepping in to correct that sort of deception.
You know, if the price when you go to check out isn't the same price as when you put it in your cart, that's slimy as hell, and you should certainly raise hell about it, but there's nothing forcing you to complete the sale.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually it is what's being done. Ammo is not a necessity. Protected by the 2nd yes, a necessity no. You don't need it to survive. If this goes to court and the AG wins, it sets precedent for everything on a retailers shelves. Again, careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

Wow. We have a "2A supporter" that says ammo isn't a necessity?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. We have a "2A supporter" that says ammo isn't a necessity?
Yes, because it's not. You also have a 2A supporter that thinks if the morons paying too much for ammo would just stop buying it, the price would go back down. Im not a chicken little type that thinks the world is ending because somebody decided to jack up the price because idiots will pay it. The SCOTUS says it's protected by the 2nd but didn't release a dissertation on pricing. When they do, I'll agree. Try a 300 percent markup on a loaf of bread after an emergency declaration and see what that gets you though. And it's not even protected. I'm not sure some understand what is a necessity, but it boils down to food/water, clothing and shelter. Gas falls under another category, but is protected from gouging too in times of emergency. In either case, those who didn't see the shortage coming don't have a 4 year long attention span. It's not all doom and gloom and CTD will remain in business long after this. People forget and buy from whoever has something they want available. If they didn't, several companies would be out of business now.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, because it's not. You also have a 2A supporter that thinks if the morons paying too much for ammo would just stop buying it, the price would go back down. Im not a chicken little type that thinks the world is ending because somebody decided to jack up the price because idiots will pay it. The SCOTUS says it's protected by the 2nd but didn't release a dissertation on pricing. When they do, I'll agree. Try a 300 percent markup on a loaf of bread after an emergency declaration and see what that gets you though. And it's not even protected. I'm not sure some understand what is a necessity, but it boils down to food/water, clothing and shelter. Gas falls under another category, but is protected from gouging too in times of emergency. In either case, those who didn't see the shortage coming don't have a 4 year long attention span. It's not all doom and gloom and CTD will remain in business long after this. People forget and buy from whoever has something they want available. If they didn't, several companies would be out of business now.

Sorry, I just don't have that FUDD mentality that ammo isn't a necessity. Food/water, clothing, and shelter don't mean much without PROTECTION. Sorry you don't feel that way, glad Texas does.

I'm not really here to argue about gouging, I'm more of a free market guy. However, I actually read the article and the "bait and switch type" pricing in the portal is complete BS. Your price should stay the same from one screen to the next.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't have that FUDD mentality that ammo isn't a necessity. Food/water, clothing, and shelter don't mean much without PROTECTION. Sorry you don't feel that way, glad Texas does.

I'm not really here to argue about gouging, I'm more of a free market guy. However, I actually read the article and the "bait and switch type" pricing in the portal is complete BS. Your price should stay the same from one screen to the next.
Wow, you assume I'm a fudd because I don't agree. That's a good way to divide the group. And as far as bait and switch, if it doesn't sow the same price in your cart, they aren't the dummies paying for it. Anyway, done responding to you since anyone who doesn't agree must be wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom