Brent Venables taking Clemson job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I think it is stupid to have CO-anything anyway. Give one man the job, let him run the show, and if he sucks, replace him. I wish they'd do that with the offense too. Venables didn't cut the mustard, he might be a great fit for Clemson, but he had plenty of time to get things right at OU and the secondary has been atrocious for years.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These guys are all grown men (around 40 or over :) ), accustomed to competition, and Bob Stoops seems to conduct himself very professionally. I seriously doubt that anyone took anything personally or that Brent has hurt feelings. It's part of the job and they all know it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mike can do with the D. It will also be interesting to see what Brent is able to do at Clemson too.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These guys are all grown men (around 40 or over :) ), accustomed to competition, and Bob Stoops seems to conduct himself very professionally. I seriously doubt that anyone took anything personally or that Brent has hurt feelings. It's part of the job and they all know it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mike can do with the D. It will also be interesting to see what Brent is able to do at Clemson too.

Especially since they don't throw it around near as much in the ACC. Have to admit Venables did a great job with the guys up front, so maybe he'll flourish!

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard his salary was going to be huge, like upwards of $750k, if true then I highly doubt it had to do with hurt feelings, and I would imagine knowing how long all of these guys knew each other instead of calling it bad taste, was it possibly one of those, "hey Brent, our D has been down for a while so since Mike is free we are going to bring him back as a position coach and Co-D coordinator and see if it gets us back to where we were before" and was really ok with Brent? Not claiming to know anything, just possibilities...either way hope he does well and of course hope OU sees some awesome D this year!

I wouldn't count on the Defense being NC caliber this season. Its going to take some time to fix some of the problems. I really hope they get bigger at LB in the next few years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom