bringing a long gun from out of state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjeep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That means your uncle wasn't a resident of NJ, right?
he was
Jeep when you're ready either go get it and bring it home or box it up and ship it to yourself c/o OPS in Tulsa and for $10 they will do the transfer.BTW you can ship long guns via anything,USPS,FedEX,etc.

thanks for the suggestion. so i can ship it to any FFL and do the transfer? i found some in Stillwater so i will call around for prices. i obviously wont have to prove who bought it, when, etc right? i just want no trouble :) would the transfer be considered "restarting" its life from day 1 and i will be the new owner? what occurs during a transfer?

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeep when you're ready either go get it and bring it home or box it up and ship it to yourself c/o OPS in Tulsa and for $10 they will do the transfer.BTW you can ship long guns via anything,USPS,FedEX,etc.

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't an FFL transfer just end up putting the gun on paper her in OK unnecessarily? As was stated before, if he received it via inheritance, it's his gun and he should be able to ship it to his OK address via common carrier, correct?

wjjeep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't an FFL transfer just end up putting the gun on paper her in OK unnecessarily? As was stated before, if he received it via inheritance, it's his gun and he should be able to ship it to his OK address via common carrier, correct?

thats another problem. im not sure about the inheritance thing. i dont think he created a will and if he did, it probably did not mention anything about the rifle. apparently it would go automatically to my dad(sibling) as inheritance. which could also include me too? lol

Glock Nut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as long at it is has never been reported stolen you have nothing to worry about. dont waste your time doing a "transfer" by an FFL. oklahoma dosnt have any kind of a registration. if you are driving keep it unloaded and out of reach. if you are flying declare it and put it in checked bagage. when you get to stillwater take it to the campus cops. pm me if you have any other questions.

GN

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually you can ship a rifle to yourself via common carrier, UPS or FEDEX. You can ship it to a friend to receive it for you in care of your name but your friend can not open the package. Just an FYI. There is no legal or practical reason for you to involve an an FFL. Hell you can check it on the plane if you are flying instead of driving.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good grief. No FFL is needed. When you go back bring the rifle with you when you return. You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. No paperwork is needed, no receipts, no nothing.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as long as you already own the long gun just ship it to yourself here in Oklahoma,some FFL's don't like to get guns from private people, it just make it easier to just ship it to you from you!! and make sure you have tracking and ins put on the ctn. and don't list it as a weapon. IMO:twocents:

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...and don't list it as a weapon. IMO:twocents:

That is horribly bad advice...
Like it or not your shipper must be notified that you are shipping a firearm. Anything else is a violation of federal law.

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/q_and_a.pdf

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm
through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a
firearm to a nonlicensed resident of
another State. A nonlicensee may
mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of
his or her own State or to a licensee
in any State. The Postal Service recommends
that long guns be sent by
registered mail and that no marking of
any kind which would indicate the