bringing a long gun from out of state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampPapa

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I attend OSU also read the fine print when you go to store it at the OSUPD, I got the feeling that it was a situation that if you wanted to get at your weapon you had to make an appointment. that was coveinent(sic) for them. if you're concerned about a worst case scenario get a locking case and someone you trust off campus.

wjjeep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so i am getting a hard time having a UPS HUB to ship it self to self despite the ATF rule above and UPS rule below and a few phone calls for clarification still denying me.

"and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package." (UPS) I think thats me, correct me if im wrong.

The hub will let me ship to a dealer though. Are there any downsides if i do this and transfer it to myself in town?

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so i am getting a hard time having a UPS HUB to ship it self to self despite the ATF rule above and UPS rule below and a few phone calls for clarification still denying me.

"and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package." (UPS) I think thats me, correct me if im wrong.

The hub will let me ship to a dealer though. Are there any downsides if i do this and transfer it to myself in town?

cost for one. UPS doesn't have to know 100% for a fact it is an FFL technically. I would tell them you are not required by law to ship it to an FFL as it is your firearm. Worst case use USPS or fedex.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fedex Will Not Take It Unless You Are A Dealer Or Unless You Have A Rma For It Going Back To A Manufacture, At Least That Is What I Was Told About 3 Weeks Ago When I Went To Ship My Shotgun.

Ups Requires It Comes Right To Their Hub, None Of The Mom And Pop Places Will Ship It. I Dont Know About Usps Though...

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
earlier in the thread wrong info was posted and i didnt see a correction.

It IS LEGAL to purchase long guns in certain neighboring states. I have purchased a rifle in Arkansas at a WALMART about a year ago, 4473 stated i was from OKLAHOMA etc. IT IS LEGAL.

Handguns are not legal to be purchased from another state w/o having them mailed back to an FFL in your home state (correct me if i'm wrong).

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to insult, but are you sure it is a carbine?

I think inheritance of an illegal "assault rifle" in NJ has to be licensed to someone who is legally eligible to possess it, or removed to a state where the carbine is legal. I think you have 90 days to license. Not saying it is 100% accurate, just throwing it out there as something to investigate.

I would tread carefully while in NJ.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to insult, but are you sure it is a carbine?

I think inheritance of an illegal "assault rifle" in NJ has to be licensed to someone who is legally eligible to possess it, or removed to a state where the carbine is legal. I think you have 90 days to license. Not saying it is 100% accurate, just throwing it out there as something to investigate.

I would tread carefully while in NJ.

It would appear that he is trying to learn how to remove the gun to a state where it is legal. He just needs to know how to do so.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would appear that he is trying to learn how to remove the gun to a state where it is legal. He just needs to know how to do so.

Yes, we know.

But he is potentially dealing with an illegal weapon in NJ if it is a carbine. If he doesn't act lawfully while the carbine is in that state he could possibly cause himself grief.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, we know.

But he is potentially dealing with an illegal weapon in NJ if it is a carbine. If he doesn't act lawfully while the carbine is in that state he could possibly cause himself grief.

I'm well aware of that. I used to live in New Jersey, and my father is a retired deputy police chief of a town in New Jersey. I wanted to give him a Rossi rifle/shotgun combo as a gift but I don't know how I could do it within the the law in NJ.

All I'm saying is the OP just wants to know how to legally get the gun the hell out of there ASAP. Some of the other comments were addressing side issues.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I'm saying is the OP just wants to know how to legally get the gun the hell out of there ASAP. Some of the other comments were addressing side issues.

I believe the OP asked how to bring a long gun into Oklahoma, not how to get it out of NJ legally.

If I've posted something that is incorrect please let me know. Otherwise I don't see your point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom