Brought Home a New Bolt Gun - A Serb That Goes By Many Names

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me a lot longer than I had hoped, but I am finally done "fitting" a Williams rear peep sight to fit my CZ99. It's the WRGS-54 that is made to fit a 3/8" dovetail. The CZ99's dovetail is 11mm. I have a hard time using open, short radius sights.

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_86BC0356_008345931f4d5be9bf1a8c70dd8efb51.jpg

SGecko

New to the site!
Reaction score
The zastava CZ99 is a great rifle when you consider the cost; its right around $210 shipped and FFL fees included. The adjustable trigger alone is amazing for that price, adjustable both for take-up and pull weight. And its all steel and wood, which compares very well to the more popular offerings currently.

jbrentd, I sent you a pm, but thought you may see this first. Would you be willing to share what you did to fit the WGRS-54 onto the receiver? I had called Williams and they stated that if the rifle was the same as the Remington Model 5, none of their dovetail sights would fit. Obviously you were able to get it to work, so any details you could let us know about on what you had to do would be much appreciated. I haven't found much info on peep mounting options for this rifle beyond your post on this forum.

Thanks!

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The zastava CZ99 is a great rifle when you consider the cost; its right around $210 shipped and FFL fees included. The adjustable trigger alone is amazing for that price, adjustable both for take-up and pull weight. And its all steel and wood, which compares very well to the more popular offerings currently.

jbrentd, I sent you a pm, but thought you may see this first. Would you be willing to share what you did to fit the WGRS-54 onto the receiver? I had called Williams and they stated that if the rifle was the same as the Remington Model 5, none of their dovetail sights would fit. Obviously you were able to get it to work, so any details you could let us know about on what you had to do would be much appreciated. I haven't found much info on peep mounting options for this rifle beyond your post on this forum.

Thanks!

Simply put, I opened up the channel of the Williams sight so that it would fit the 11mm dovetail. I did this with a cheap set of files I bought at Home Depot. It has to be filed so that it is both wider and taller. I got the idea from this thread over on rimfire central. It did take a while, but was worth the effort.

Not my picture
www.lssdigital.com_lwpilot_rear_sight_filing.jpg

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574125

Attachments

• rear-sight-filing.jpg
    rear-sight-filing.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 406

SGecko

New to the site!
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for both the pic and the link. Definitely going to do this for mine, as I was rather bummed when the Williams Gunsight guy told me they didn't have anything that would fit. Filing I can do! Have you noticed better accuracy since you put on the wgrs-54?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me a lot longer than I had hoped, but I am finally done "fitting" a Williams rear peep sight to fit my CZ99. It's the WRGS-54 that is made to fit a 3/8" dovetail. The CZ99's dovetail is 11mm. I have a hard time using open, short radius sights.

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_86BC0356_008345931f4d5be9bf1a8c70dd8efb51.jpg
Nice job on the receiver sight! I put a fine little Weaver 2.5-7 x 33 Rimfire Classic on the gun I bought for my gilrfriend. It is a great scope for not much money, and it fits well on the '99.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but I took this one out to the range for the first time a couple weeks ago. Three shots in and I got a spent shell that wouldn't extract. My range bag now has a three piece cleaning rod in it permanently.

After getting it home and some searching on RFC, I decided to put some more effort into cleaning the chamber and bore. Glad I did because it had lots of leftover orange colored grease in the barrel. I also polished the chamber a bit with some Flitz and a 22lr mop.

It's seems to have done the trick. Took it out to the range again today and didn't have the extraction issues. Now I need to practice using peep sights more.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, being the tinkerer I am, I think I'm going to try and refinish the stock on this one. I've redone the stock on a couple of my rifles, but I'm definitely not an expert at it. Neither of them had any checkering and I'm not sure how much I should mess with the checkering on my Zastava, but I think it could use some more definition since it's just a plain jane laser checkering job from the factory. Wish me luck.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some before pictures...

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4522_zpslbifh8ld.jpg

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4523_zpsckodrmbt.jpg

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4526_zpsvdvt7sfw.jpg

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4527_zpsjemro2nd.jpg

And some after 120, 180 and 220 grit sanding...

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4529_zpsam6ytoqz.jpg

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4528_zps883kqxmb.jpg

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4530_zpspwaadfbf.jpg

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_4531_zpsxfaj6bjx.jpg

Next up is to work on the checkering. I should be receiving a starter set on Dem-Bart tools today.

I'm definitely a novice in refinishing stocks. So, if anyone sees anything wrong, please let me know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom