Browning Hi-Power Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm looking at picking up this Browning HP from a guy but, with today's gun prices, I can't find any resource to tell me a value. Can any of you give me a realistic idea of what this gun is worth? It's a 9mm but don't know the year. Any info is appreciated!

[Broken External Image]

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pricing and info for standard model below. Other models, finishes, or options will add to pricing.
HI-POWER: POST-1954 MFG.
- 9mm Para. or .40 S&W (new 1995) cal., similar to FN model 1935, has BAC slide marking, 10 (C/B 1994) or 13* shot mag., 4 5/8 in. barrel, polished blue finish, checkered walnut grips, fixed sights, molded grips were introduced in 1986 (disc. in 2000), ambidextrous safety was added to all models in 1989, approx. 32 (9mm Para.) or 35 (.40 S&W) oz., mfg. by FN in Belgium, imported 1954-2000, reintroduced 2002.

Hi-Power Standard - Polished Blue Finish
- includes fixed front and lateral adj. rear sight
95% $500
Subtract $30 for molded grips (disc. 1990).
Add 50% for ring hammer and internal extractor.
Add 10% for ring hammer and external extractor (post 1962 mfg.).
Add 60% for thumb print feature.
Major identifying factors of the Hi-Power are as follows: the "Thumb-Print" feature was mfg. from the beginning through 1958. Old style internal extractor was mfg. from the beginning through 1962, the "T" SN prefix (T-Series start visible extractor) was mfg. 1963-mid-1970s for all U.S. imports by BAC, 69C through 77C S/N prefixes were mfg. 1969-1977. Rounded type Ring Hammers with new external extractor were mfg. from 1962-1972 (for U.S. imports by BAC, much later on FN marked pistols). Spur Hammers have been mfg. 1972-present, and the "245" S/N prefix has been mfg. 1977-present. Some "215" ser. no. prefixes are scarce, these models were originally intended for military contracts only.
Older specimens in original dark green, maroon, or red/black plastic boxes were mfg. 1954-1965 and are very scarce - add $100+ in value. Black pouches (circa 1965-1968, especially with gold metal zipper) will also command a $25-$50 premium, depending on condition.

Source(s):

28th Edition Blue Book of Gun Values

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm is obscured by a light reflection. A coworker of mine just purchased a parkerized (or some parkerized looking finish) High Power off of Gun Broker for $800.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might pull $650-700 on GB. I'd offer $500 and see where he wants to meet as far as price. Buying guns from friends is tricky. Don't want to overpay, but don't want to screw a friend over and have it affect the friendship.

There's a Win-Win price in there somewhere. Nice pistol.

I just bought an Israeli Milsurp BHP and really like it. The full size and steel frame mass help with the 9mm snappy/ pop type recoil ( I'm a fan of the 1911 "bump" like recoil. My brain seems to work well with the recoil timing/ re-acquiring the target).

cfw2000

Marksman
Reaction score
FWIW - Browning Hi Powers simply don't command the prices in Oklahoma like they do everywhere else. Seems like everybody here wants to compare a HP 9mm to a Glock 9mm. If you know guns, you know its comparing apples to oranges. There are HP collectors in Oklahoma, but only a primo collectable, like a mint "T" series will bring top dollar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom