Buggered up the roll pin on the gas block for an AR.. ugh!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK.... I know that NONE of you fine gun smiths out there have ever done this but...... I got in a rush finishing my sons AR15 build... well I guess I didn't have the gas tube lined up right and the roll pin for the gas block go buggered up big time ( see pic ) I tried to use a punch to push it out from the back side and broke the dang punch...tried to pull it out with pliers... yeah that is not what you should do since it made it worse. what do I do now? try and drill it out from the other side? give up and get a new gas block and tube and have FBT pin it for me?

[Broken External Image]

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
a proper roll pin punch and a 3lb-5lb no-mar hammer is what it takes to get this pin in properly. Looks like you're going from left to right, so thats good.

Based on your second post, it sounds like you went ahead and tried to drill it though. Not good - soft gas block, hardened roll pin = drilling is a bad idea.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a proper roll pin punch and a 3lb-5lb no-mar hammer is what it takes to get this pin in properly. Looks like you're going from left to right, so thats good.

Based on your second post, it sounds like you went ahead and tried to drill it though. Not good - soft gas block, hardened roll pin = drilling is a bad idea.

yeah.. its not a good idea....

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drilling that out would be real tough. It can be done but it takes an undersized carbide drill bit a drill press and a lot of setup to make sure you drill straight. Much easier to just get a new one

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first build went as smooth as glass.. this one has been a pain in the butt!.. broke my vice had to get a new one, broke one of my punches, caught hell trying to get the barrel nut lined up ( until I got the new vice and put some torque on the thing)... got it all together a while ago ( we haven't shot it yet ).. without a mag in it will function nice and smooth pulling the charging handle.... did it about 50 times ( lubed ).. popped it open to check for wear and whatnot on the bolt and handle.. looks good for the most part... now here is the kicker... put in a mag with rounds to try and cycle them thru just using the charging handle.... well the dang bolt gets stuck forward and there is no pulling it back.. have to mortar it to get the round out..... does it just need some breaking in?

Latest posts

Top Bottom