Burning lot's of wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, so what about using steel that is thinner than 1/2" ?

Do you guy think 3/8 - 5/16 or so would provide the same effect and longevity of the thicker stuff?

We discovered a nice sized hole in the rear refractory panel of our fireplace yesterday. I'm wondering if putting a piece of steel back there to provide something of an air gap will keep it from getting worse and provide reflective heat until I can get the back piece replaced.

for some unknown reason, our builder had the forethought to put in a heatilator fireplace with a built in fresh air baffle

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any flat metal plate on the back wall help, the thicker the better, more even the heat will be, and the longer it will radiate as your fire fluctuates, particullarly when cooling down at night.

I do not know about putting an air gap inbetween, I have mine flat up against the back wall.

I called a couple large steel fab shops around and asked them if they had a scrap piece of 1/2 in plate they could cut a piece xW by xH that they could weld a couple 2x2 inch tabs out from one side to keep it from tilting out toward the room. I paid about $40 about 3 years ago. Much cheaper than ordering it through the GWF site with my angled Grate considering shipping. I used my two wheeled dolly to get it in and close to position to wiggle in place.

I am sure 3/8 would be easier to handle and most likely would do almost as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom