Butt problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old double barrel shotgun I am trying to repair and refinish. The problem is that I have no idea how to remove the stock bumper. There are no screw hole visible, and I see no external way to remove it. Is it glued on. Is there a way to twist it or move it to get it off? There is no way to get to it from the trigger end either. I have to remove the trigger assembly to fix a crack and the only way to get it off is from the hole and screw from the bumper end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Don

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2658_4176612909_4a456312a8.png

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2750_4176612795_775c814910.png

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2639_4177351776_66126ee230.png

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong but it looks screwed on to me. About 1/4 or the way from the bottom ( last photo ) looks to be the small buggered spot you see with old recoil pads. They tend to swallow the screw heads and over time just kind of blend in.

If it were me and I planned on installing a new pad, I would just start cutting the old one until I found the screws.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a very strong light and try to see down into that crack as shown in the first picture. Perhaps slide a thin knife blade in there and see if you make contact.

It may be glued on, but that would be unusual. The cheaper the gun, the more likely that might be.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost all recoil pads are put on by the same method.
you take the screw and push it in the hole on the side that touches the stock.
then you take a razor knife and slit the rubber, then you grease the screws and screwdriver so it won't stick to or damage the rubber.
you push the screw and Phillips screwdriver thru the area you slit, screw it and when your done there is no visible holes or damage.

so with that said, just poke around with a 3/16 - 1/4" dia phillips screwdriver
about 3/4" from each end of the pad and you should find the slits.
if your going to save the pad you might put some vaseline or lubriplate on the screwdiver tip.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find replacement pads for this?? The only markings I can find on it are J.Stevens Arms and Tool Co. Chicopee Falls Mass USA and on the bottom it says model 235. It is a double barrel. The stock is cracked all to heck. Gonna take a lot to restore this one. And I did find the holes for the screws well hidden within the rubber. Thanks guys for the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom