BWhaaahaaahaaahahhh!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngest kid has a lazy streak. He tests pretty well in those standard school tests... and makes pretty good grades on the busy work that passes for elementary education. However, he is militantly un-organized, sloppy, lacks attention to detail and can be a rather boorish little know-it-all (who knows nothing).

We moved this year. So I went to the big Parent meeting. I expected a PTO wallet lifting session and was pleasantly suprised when the 5 th grade staff presented an exhaustive presentation on the books, grades, make up work, day planner (agenda) and other systems they use to insure the process is adminstered to full effect.

We are 2 weeks into the school year. We have not seen a "agenda" (read: planner) book yet... and have heard the classic "we did not talk about this and we don't have a book" when he tries to get us to do his home work for him.

Every grade he's been in so far has tried to use a planner or agenda book.... the kid simply blew those off... and never knows what he has to do and was chronically last with work last year.

The kid was really suprised when we got home last night ..... and laid it out for him.

His last district gave "A"s for work that could not be read... not showing work... not following instructions, etc. He brought back a math paper with a "68%" last night .... seems Dollar signs go to the left of the figures in this country. The teacher marked those wrong for being to the right of the figure...or not show at all. I love it. He has been getting points-off for not spelling his name with upper case letters too.( it's a rule... proper names are capitalized).

Maybe this will be the year that saves this kid from becoming the self inflated little ass hat his grandmother would like him to be.

I am the kind of guy who helps kids who really want help. I never do the work for them... and never get a straight answer to a question--- but I will show you how to look it up or figure it out. This last one.... I think i will let him get the grades HIS work deserves this year. Unless he gets the memo ... he will be the tallest kid in the 5 grade next year.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck. I have two boys. I have been through the ups and downs. Just keep praying. Sometimes something just clicks, and they are back on track.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on the teachers for not letting the kids skate, and for working to help the parents get involved. Good on you for stepping up and getting involved.

That's the sad part.... we are "step up and involved" parents. This kid got some genes passed to him from a generation or so back that have risen to the top of his mug.

"there ain a horse that can't be rode"..... I'd like to get this one to law school too.... or make him the best ski bum, ditch digger or whatever else he aspires to become.... but it's hard to get results when one has no aspirations. If you don't get any pressure... there ain't much reason to get "motivated".

Schools that are giving your kids passing marks for finding the school every day and eating lunch are a giant problem.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for the hard-headed kid, but I have one of those too. 10 years old going on 30, and he is ADHD on top of it. If I could channel his energy and stubborness into his work, he'd cure cancer. But his handwriting sucks, his attitude sucks, his motivation sucks - and yet he STILL makes pretty good grades. I don't know whether to choke him or pat his back. And his last few teachers are like yours this year: they don't let the kids skate. But I quickly get on a first name basis with them because of his behavior. I'm hoping soon for that "something to click" as Biggsly put it.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Word. A lot of teachers aren't feeling enough pressure to succeed either. If they were held to higher and better standards then this story wouldn't have been remarkable.

My wife is a teacher, and we know lots of them (including those that teach/have taught my kids); the B.S. they put up with should earn most of them a medal. Some are lax, but most are way, way overstretched by enormous class sizes, budget constraints, and purely assinine laws and curriculum requirements.

Latest posts

Top Bottom