Can anyone steer me to where I can get a square bale of hay for my wife's garden? Google no help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a “square” bale of hay. I guess I should be more aware.
Its the only kind there was for many years . We didn't get a round baler till the earl 1980's . I remember getting paid .10 cents a bale to haul hay , when I got older and had a truck to haul hay with you'd get a quarter but that covered the fuel also .

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its the only kind there was for many years . We didn't get a round baler till the earl 1980's . I remember getting paid .10 cents a bale to haul hay , when I got older and had a truck to haul hay with you'd get a quarter but that covered the fuel also .
I think his point is they aren't square

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask for a straw hay a.k.a. wheat straw bale at Atwoods. You don't want the compressed bale.
I thought with the compressed bale you were less likely to get weeds and such than a straw bale. Unless, it's been certified also. "Straw bales are approximately 18 cu. ft. expanded and Certified Noxious Weed Free."

Key word may be 'noxious'?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought with the compressed bale you were less likely to get weeds and such than a straw bale. Unless, it's been certified also. "Straw bales are approximately 18 cu. ft. expanded and Certified Noxious Weed Free."

Surely with it being a garden, it gets weeded/cultivated before weeds get out of control. Some people garden differently than myself.

I see straw bales used in gardens a few different ways:
1. Mulch. In my opinion the compressed bales don't fluff and have the coverage that non compressed bales do. The straw is smashed, possibly even crimped. It doesn't have the "insulation" quality that non compressed straw does. Either covers the ground but the non compressed bale just needs shaken out and spread out. The compressed will never fluff up the same. Some people garden differently than myself.
2. Planters. Some people plant directly into straw bales. From handling some compressed bales, I think the bale maybe to tight and restrictive for good root development. I know of succesful tomato plants in traditional straw bales. Some people garden differently than myself.

That said, I will change my response.

Hay bale is a pretty generic term. Bermuda grass is often baled for hay. Hay grazer is baled for hay. Peanut stalks is baled for hay. Alfalfa is baled for hay. Wheat is baled for hay.

In my opinion you want straw bales because it is generally cheaper then hay for feeding. In my opinion you will like the non compressed bales more than the compressed.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely with it being a garden, it gets weeded/cultivated before weeds get out of control. Some people garden differently than myself.

I see straw bales used in gardens a few different ways:
1. Mulch. In my opinion the compressed bales don't fluff and have the coverage that non compressed bales do. The straw is smashed, possibly even crimped. It doesn't have the "insulation" quality that non compressed straw does. Either covers the ground but the non compressed bale just needs shaken out and spread out. The compressed will never fluff up the same. Some people garden differently than myself.
2. Planters. Some people plant directly into straw bales. From handling some compressed bales, I think the bale maybe to tight and restrictive for good root development. I know of succesful tomato plants in traditional straw bales. Some people garden differently than myself.

That said, I will change my response.

Hay bale is a pretty generic term. Bermuda grass is often baled for hay. Hay grazer is baled for hay. Peanut stalks is baled for hay. Alfalfa is baled for hay. Wheat is baled for hay.

In my opinion you want straw bales because it is generally cheaper then hay for feeding. In my opinion you will like the non compressed bales more than the compressed.
Regardless of use, I was just referring to possibly adding weeds into your garden is all. If the compressed is just a regular bale squished down, then my point is moot.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Noxious weeds are a legally-defined specific set of weeds that can get you fined if you have them. Nodding thistles are on the list, but, IIRC, there aren’t very many on the list with them. It took me years to eliminate those Godforsaken things from my hay field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom