Can you use snap caps more than once?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never actually seen a snap cap in person so I hope this is not too big of an idiot question...

Can you use a snap cap repeatedly? For example, I want to dry fire a pistol to get better with my trigger control. So are these 'snap cap' things one-time use or more? :scratch:

Thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check with the manufacturer of your pistol.
Other than rimfire pistols, most don't have a problem with dry firing. You won't need to spend money on snap caps.
I've dry fired my 1911, a thousand times in practice.
A cheap snap cap that can be reused in rimfire is a plastic concrete anchor for 1/4" holes in drywall. Get a dozen of them at a hardware store for a buck or two.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a CZ52 and it will break the gun if dry fired. This one has a machined firing pin that replaces the brittle original pin. I do not want to take any chances.

Thanks for the tip on the plastic anchor for .22 rimfire.

Thanks for the info guys.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a few snap caps with a spent case and some hot glue in the firing pin hole. They work well enough and when they wear out I just pop out the glue and do them again.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a few snap caps with a spent case and some hot glue in the firing pin hole. They work well enough and when they wear out I just pop out the glue and do them again.

*slaps my head* Dave, thank you. That is so simple and easy to do. Sitting here wondering why I've never thought about that before. If you reload, you've got thousands of cases laying around and more than a few bad ones that you can't bring yourself to chunk out. Use the worn out ones with the hot glue and there you go... simple, cheap, recycled snap cap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom