Canadian Ranges vs. Washington Pistol & Rifle Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to find an outdoor range to shoot at, and I haven't been to either of these places. I have found some stuff about Canadian Ranges on OSA, most of which was positive, but nothing much on the Washington range. Both locations are approximately equidistant from where I live - about 45 minutes. H & H is much closer, but I really would prefer an outdoor range with less people, especially now when the weather is nice. Has anyone been to both and could compare them?

SDAinstructor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many, many years ago, I went to school in Washington. Never ever once have I heard anyone say anything about a range around there. I am a member at Tri City in South Norman or Goldsby area and I love the outdoor ranges they have.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I must have gotten bad info from the interwebs. Go figure. I found it listed on a website that listed the other ranges in town, but there wasn't a lot of detail. I have pretty much decided to check out the Canadian Range, I have read good and bad stuff - but it seems you can't escape the bad unless you join a gun club. Here's hoping nobody sweeps a loaded gun in my direction.....

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out to Canadian Ranges on Easter to finally check it out. I suppose it is a bit of a dump, but I guess I don't mind all that much. It is pretty much what I expected. I also expected the old man to be a crotchety old bastard based on stuff I have read on OSA, but truth be told, he was actually quite nice. The horror stories about people sweeping loaded weapons and other unsafe behavior didn't come into play - which was a relief. Everyone was respectful and careful - everyone communicated with one another about going downrange, etc., so I am overall quite pleased with the experience. It still make me nervous to be around people I don't know while they handle weapons, but what can you do? Hopefully my luck will hold....

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would imagine that the majority of folks that think the man that runs canadian is a crotchety old bastard are the same ones that can't be bothered to read the giant range rules sign next to the door. The only complaint I ever get from him is that I pay for the whole day and only stay an hour.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you are right about the old guy. He seems like a good sort. He took a little extra time when I told him I was new there and gave me all the details I needed and was quite helpful. His presence looms large, apparently, because I overheard a guy telling his buddy to slow down his rate of fire lest they raise the old man's ire.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can not see anyone that has ever been to Lexington complaining about the trash after going to Canadian Ranges. Harry is gripey sometimes but it is usually after someone made off with a rifle rest or a staple gun or something. I really like it when 3 guys show up and say only one of them is going to shoot and expect to get in for 10 bucks, Harry will make all three pay or watch over the wall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom