Cannot sharpen my Benchmade to save my life!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know how they set up the bevel on theirs . Some sharpen with paper wheels and rouge that doesn't use a defined bevel. Its a smooth transition between the thickness of the blade and the edge.
I prefer to hand sharpen with a diamond impregnated stone that uses a defined bevel. There are some kits out there that allow the knife to be put in a jig, select the bevel, and get it done that way. Lansky is the name of the people that sell that system. The angle of the blade in relationship to the stone is the key to getting a sharp blade.
I can shave hair on the arm with mine when done.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to really work to get an edge on my benchmade so I just carry a cheap gerber that sharpens much easier.

Don't know how they set up the bevel on theirs . Some sharpen with paper wheels and rouge that doesn't use a defined bevel. Its a smooth transition between the thickness of the blade and the edge.
I prefer to hand sharpen with a diamond impregnated stone that uses a defined bevel. There are some kits out there that allow the knife to be put in a jig, select the bevel, and get it done that way. Lansky is the name of the people that sell that system. The angle of the blade in relationship to the stone is the key to getting a sharp blade.
I can shave hair on the arm with mine when done.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stones always worked great if you held correctly then a finish on a lapping belt or other leather item .

I feel your pain I made some knives and hardened and tempered them to RC58-60+ those were high carbon spring steel and and some harder stuff, very hard to get a great edge on,
But once you got that edge it stayed for a long long time.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for sending back to Benchmade. Usually about a one week turnaround. If you don't want to do that, go to Academy or Bass Pro and get a Lansky Sharpner. The one that holds the blade at a specific angle with different grit stones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom