Can't decide on what I want as far as a new revolver!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's not for the weak-wristed, that's for sure. However, it's not a target/range gun; it's a work gun. I really don't mind the recoil. I previously had a 101 in 9mm and it was a snap to shoot; the weight controlled the recoil very well. The LCR, not so much.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's not for the weak-wristed, that's for sure. However, it's not a target/range gun; it's a work gun. I really don't mind the recoil. I previously had a 101 in 9mm and it was a snap to shoot; the weight controlled the recoil very well. The LCR, not so much.

I never knew that Ruger made the SP-101 in 9mm!? Now that would be something I'd get due to the weight of it I bet it's a lot better to shoot. That dang LCR in 9mm though is something else.
I'd like to see Smith & Wesson or Ruger make an ALL STEEL L or N frame revolver in .40S&W, that would be nice.
As you can probably tell, I'm a .40S&W kinda' guy.
I would buy more 9mm guns but I feel that the 9mm is, for lack of a better word, "under powered".

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W 8 shot. Seems more versatile to me. Self defense/concealed carry, hunting, competition. But other than "want" you don't say what you'd be using it for, so my opinion may be way off base.

I'll probably end up with either the Ruger LCRx with the 3" barrel, the S&W Model 627 with a 5" barrel, or the Taurus Model 608 with either a 3" or 4" barrel. I don't remember what the barrel length is on the Taurus 608.
I wish I never got rid of my Taurus Model 65 with a 4" barrel. Now it was a pre-MIM and pre-lock model but still, for a Taurus, it was truly amazing.
I also had a S&W Model 10, pre-MIM and pre-lock but I got rid of it all because of this girl...... :smash:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like 9mm for many reasons, not the least of which is ease of getting ammo and cost of ammo. Also, I have multiple 9's.

I used to collect all kinds of guns and have had most of the calibers available. Today's 9mm just seems to cut it for me.

But, that's why they make more than 1 caliber.

You're right about the 101. As I've had occasion to say many times, I don't know why I got rid of that one.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A revolver has one advantage over a semi; it is available in configurations that can shoot a heavier bullet. Why go with a revolver in smaller calibers, and negate that advantage? For smaller calibers, go with a high capacity semi, if you come across one that is reliable. Even a single stack 8 is very fast to reload and trumps the revolver.

Want a good big bore snubbie that you can carry almost anywhere on you? Go with a Charter Arms Bulldog. Want a good big bore fannie pack snubbie? Ruger Alaskan.

These two can spit up slugs that semis can't.

Since I carry a big bore snubbie for a quick go to, and an semi as a bug, I have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A revolver has one advantage over a semi; it is available in configurations that can shoot a heavier bullet. Why go with a revolver in smaller calibers, and negate that advantage? For smaller calibers, go with a high capacity semi, if you come across one that is reliable. Even a single stack 8 is very fast to reload and trumps the revolver.

Want a good big bore snubbie that you can carry almost anywhere on you? Go with a Charter Arms Bulldog. Want a good big bore fannie pack snubbie? Ruger Alaskan.

These two can spit up slugs that semis can't.

Since I carry a big bore snubbie for a quick go to, and an semi as a bug, I have the best of both worlds.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Bulldog, I just haven't handled one nor shot one. I would like to get a Ruger Alaskan snubbie in .44Mag just for fun, that would be something cool to have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom