Carry in a restaurant bar area.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonsensitive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps what I said was unclear to you (and others), but the point I mas attempting to make is absolutely not incorrect according to official written interaction I have from ABLE.

To simplify/clarify my point --

1. According to a letter I have from ABLE it is not possible in Oklahoma to have an establishment licensed as a bar and have people under 21 present ever.

2. According to this same letter it is also not possible to license only a portion of an establishment. Though the establishment may have a designated bar area (such as in a restaurant) the license is still for the establishment itself and not certain areas of it. An establishment is either a bar or not. It can't be part bar and part something else. It also can't "sometimes" be a bar and sometimes not. Designated areas have nothing to do with the establishment license type.

(OK...that wasn't much simpler, was it?)

From these bits of information that I have in writing "from the horses mouth" I deduced:

1. If you are in an establishment that allows people under 21 the establishment cannot possibly fit the legal description of a "bar."

2. If it can't possible fit the legal definition of a bar, it is not prohibited for concealed carry.

Steve is right, though he was just quoting the law. The problem is, it is seemingly impossible for someone to know the criteria that the law requires you to know about a business. I was simply trying to offer a litmus test that a regular person could use without having to see the books of the business or make a call to ABLE every time they want to know if they carry somewhere.

That said, it is certainly possible that you could be arrested and charged for carrying in the bar area of a restaurant. My opinion certainly means nothing to the arresting officer or the DA and I'm not paying for your defense if you get yourself in trouble.

Bryan

Believe me I was not criticising you.
I dealt with the Oklahoma liquor laws for a long time.
They are the most confusing in the nation.
The best thing a person can do is learn as much as possible before going in so you know as much as possible before entering with your gun.
If you call ABLE. You will get a different answer everytime you call.
It all boils down to the main purpose of the establishment.
The only way you can halfway determine that is look for the no one under 21 signs.

Nonsensitive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just thought of two exceptions that could bite you in the backside:

1. A bar could host persons under 21 for a private party. Such a party has its own limitations and rules. In this case it would be possible for you to be in an establishment licensed as a bar with people under 21.

2. It is possible for you to be in an establishment that is licensed other than a bar but its primary purpose based on sales would make it as a bar. That is; it has the wrong license and hasn't yet been caught. I actually suspect there's a lot of this going on in Oklahoma.

Bryan

You bet it happens. That and a lot of other stuff.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like its better safe than sorry. Just don't sit at the bar and you'll be OK. Thats just my 2 cents though

That can solve most of the "can I carry here" questions. From what I have read and the way I understand it, if you have to ask you probably can not carry there.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tm8634
night trips serves good lunch, or atleast they did in my younger days, it would look like there would be some gray areas too...imo

No gray area here,it's a bar that serves some food.Not exactly a dining "destination".

More money is spent on entertainment than on alcohol in these establishments. Does this count in the 51% or not. It has to be black or white, either it does or it does not.
Mark

Latest posts

Top Bottom