carrying in the presence of known felons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The real problem is that this sort of issue comes up FAR more often than it used to.... because the gov't is FAR to willing to make non-violent crimes into felonies. IMO... "the right to keep and bear arms" should only be restricted when a person has actually been convicted of a violent crime.

There used to only be a few Federal felonies. Now there are many.

Actually my then 63 year old father was forced to plead guilty to a felony after he retired with 35 years of service to DoD as a civilian. He got all these awards and citations over the years, wonderful employee, never had any sort of trouble with the law. But before he left his job, he was told to write out the job requirements for his job. Which he did and they were approved. Then once he retired, he applied for his old job as a contract employee. He was hired since he had all the experience. But the Feds were after Boeing at the time and needed some examples. (Dad didn't work for Boeing.) So they prosecuted my Dad for creating a job profile to fit him specifically. So that he could then come back and work as a contractor. Basically what people in his position had been doing since gov't jobs began. But the Feds told him he either had to plead guilty to one count (a felony) or go to trial and risk actually going to prison. Which scared my senior citizen Dad to death. The very idea of going to jail. So he pled guilty.

That was 7-8 years ago. The conviction is still in place despite many efforts to get a pardon. He spent over $20k in lawyer fees. He still can't own guns or vote. And he still feels like his lifelong reputation was besmirched for no good reason.

As his son, I obviously don't think he should have been convicted of anything. But the really sure thing is that he shouldn't have been convicted of a felony. That's crazy. He's never hurt anybody in his life but he's still not allowed to own guns. I bought all his old guns from him and keep them here at my house. Just hoping that someday he will get a pardon and I will get to sell them back to him. I know for a fact that getting a pardon would make him smile so much that his face would start to hurt. It was an emotional trauma for him and he still feels it. He was proud of his service at DoD and somehow that all got thrown in the trash.

Gregg

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if you put it that way, any police officer can arrest you for whatever they deem that you have done weather you have broken any laws or not and and D.A. could prosecute those charges if they want and the judge could do as they seem fit as well.

Not that it is right or legal, just saying.
Exactly, and I'd like to stay far and wide of that entire scenario as much as possible.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a friend in the Lawton PD once tell me the way the laws are written, he could take a brand new car from a dealership and find enough violation to have the vehicle towed.

I agree with earlier statements any decent attorney can sway a jury to produce whatever results they want. History has shown repeatedly that justice is for the highest bidder and knowledge of the law. I guess in the 50+ years I have been on this earth, I guess I have become cynical in my ways.

This I know as a truth. They can take your car, your house, your land, even your guns. However, one thing they cannot take is knowledge. If you have to kill to stop knowledge you have lost the battle of control. Let us face it its all about control.

We ask these questions on the forums and everyone chimes in with there knowledge. We all contribute and we all learn from each other. I find this to be an awesome tool.

Sorry I tend to ramble when I am on my soapbox. Just take me with a grain of salt.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We ask these questions on the forums and everyone chimes in with there knowledge. We all contribute and we all learn from each other. I find this to be an awesome tool.

Sorry I tend to ramble when I am on my soapbox. Just take me with a grain of salt.
Exactly - a rare day that I come here and don't learn something from someone. Thanks!

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if you put it that way, any police officer can arrest you for whatever they deem that you have done weather you have broken any laws or not and and D.A. could prosecute those charges if they want and the judge could do as they seem fit as well.

Not that it is right or legal, just saying.

Unfortunately, this is 100% true.....

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay ... I'm carrying, and stop to see an old friend who invites me in to visit.

Her boyfriend is also there and is a convicted felon who completed his sentence and was released - not on any sort of parole, etc. that I'm aware of.

So - legally...

1) Can I go in?
2) Does he have to leave?
3) Or do I have to go back and put it in the car?

... what say the pundits of OSA? What are the possible outcomes should there be an encounter with law enforcement? It's an apartment complex with a history of frequent problems, which is why I prefer not to leave it in the car.

Ask yourself if the felon would be in possession of a police officer's gun should a police officer arrive on the scene.

There is your answer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom