Carrying weapons on a motorcycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Back when I was young, 15 or 16 my buddy and I would ride double on a motorcycle down the highway about 60 miles round trip to go shooting. The one riding on the back would have a couple rifles slung over his shoulders and ammo in an old army knapsack.
Back then it never raised an eyebrow from any cops. As far as I can tell it would still be legal unless there are some new laws that I do not know about. This was the late 1960's time period. It was considered legal to carry any weapon unloaded ans not concealed if you were on your way to go hunting, fishing, target shooting and a few other places.

Has the law changed?

Michael

D

Double Tap

As long as they are UNLOADED, it should be fine. However in a small county I can't see a big deal, going down Yale.ave might see some red and blue lights.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A motorcycle is a "motor vehicle". It has a liscense plate and you are required to carry insurance on it. The law says you can transport firearms in a motor vehicle that are unloaded and in plain sight.

It would seem to me that slung across your back would constitute in plain sight.

I think your primary concern is not engaging in any action that would spur LE who contact you into thinking you are a threat. You no doubt realize that in some urban areas of the state you will be stopped on sight. Slow hands, a smile, and friendly tones are going to be well advised.

A bolt rifle where the bolt is zip tied in the full open position is pretty easy to see. While there is no legal difference between that and an AR with an empty mag in it, you should realize you will likely get a different response from responding officers. In urban areas it is likely that people will "blow up 911". Nothing gets a high profile response like having a dozen or two 911 calls on a "guy with a gun".

If hundreds of law abiding citizens did it all summer long in about 3 months people would get used to it and stop calling in.

I ride a motorcycle to work 6 months of the year. While I have done it before, I sure don't like doing it if I don't have to.

50shooter

Latest posts

Top Bottom