Catfishing experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EASY, EASY NOW FELLAS!!!! I know its hot. Geez, I left myself open on that one didn't I? Naturally, you all chimed in to point that out. Ifn yo weinnas is getting toooooo soft them cookum sum mo and let us no how looooong you cook yoooo weinnas. Thats a fact jack.:rotflmao:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texan - What lake are you going to? I would set them at 15 - 25' on the upper end of the lake adjacent to the river channel near a causeway with the wind blowing into the riprap.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are becoming famous!!

This excerpt is from an email called "Weekly Wildlife News" that I get from the ODWC.

Head northwest now for excellent channel catfish angling
Leading anglers to excellent fishing is at the heart of recent encouragements from fisheries biologists to head to Great Salt Plains Lake in northwest Oklahoma.
According to John Stahl, northwest region fisheries supervisor for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, channel catfish angling is excellent at the lake right now.
“The weather is hot, and the fishing is smoking hot,” Stahl said.
Over the last 10 days, Stahl has himself put away almost 200 lbs. of catfish fillets thanks to his trotlines, and there is plenty more available for anglers to catch. But trotlining isn’t the only way to get in on the action.
Water levels at the lake are currently low, and Stahl said bank access is excellent for rod-and-reel anglers who come prepared with crawdads, grasshoppers or cut shad. Anglers also could try Stahl’s concoction he calls “garlic hotdogs”-inexpensive franks saturated with garlic powder, then heated, chilled, covered with garlic salt and heated and chilled once more before heading to the freezer to await the perfect day on the water. “Fish the wind,” Stahl said, referring to areas where wind is hitting the bank.
Additionally, Stahl encourages anglers hoping to get in on the catfish angling to be mindful of the summer climate by fishing mornings and evenings.
“Be easy on yourself because of the heat,” Stahl said, adding that nighttime fishing appears to be best at this time.
Stahl said the high salt content of Great Salt Plains Lake may play a role in the excellent flavor of the catfish meat from the lake.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I know. The I & E division was up at Salt plains lake on Wednesday shooting footage for an upcoming Outdoor Oklahoma feature. John and I had lunch afterwards. This heat will probably cause the lake to die again soon unless we get measureable rain in the watershed. John and I talked about letting the cat out of the bag on the fishing. We thought is it better put some fillets in everyones freezer or is it better to have a 100 yard wide x 1/2 mile line of bloated rotting carcasses. The carp are already dying in the river above the lake. I am the one that convinced John to use the garlic hotdog recipe. He is a die in the wool catfisherman who only uses shad, not now. LOL.

This heat has already started to cause fish kills in farm ponds due to low water levels. I had my first call yesterday on a pond near stillwater. I made a friend sick when he called and asked me about a few crappie that had died in his pond. When I told him that he should expect the pond to have a complete die off this week. The die off will be at dawn and the fish will all be dead in 30 minutes. I witnessed this on lake Elmer near Kingfisher a year or so ago. That ODWC lake was 55 acres in size. I helped John on that project. The lake was full of channels and flatheads that averaged 20#+. The lake is now drained and ODWC is waiting for this heat to finish drying the lake bottom so that it can be dozed out and renovated.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say it is now time to start catching your hoppers. I nearly went blind driving through the pasture yesterday from all the sumbitches jumping up and getting in my face. I had to turn around and get my sunglasses to keep them out of my eyes. They were thick, plentiful and big.

Latest posts

Top Bottom